National Intern for volunteers’ engagement in social media (unpaid), Belarus
Post title: National Intern for volunteers’ engagement in social media (unpaid), Belarus Duration: Twenty-six weeks, part-time, remote Duty Station: Minsk, Belarus Supervisor: Private Partnership Officer Starting date: approx.1 November, 2020 Under the supervision of the Private Partnership Officer, the intern will be able to get more knowledge in the SMM process, as well as creating good and high-quality content for UNICEF’s social networks (e.g. Instagram and possibly other channels in the future), the subject of which is volunteering. The intern will have the opportunity to participate in UNICEF events and apply knowledge about social media in promoting children's rights through various social networks.
Post title: National Intern for volunteers’ engagement in social media (unpaid), Belarus
Duration: Twenty-six weeks, part-time, remote
Duty Station: Minsk, Belarus
Supervisor: Private Partnership Officer
Start date: approx.1 November, 2020
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child...
Volunteering is becoming increasingly more popular in Belarus as young people are searching for interesting activities to do in their free time that would help them develop skills while doing something good for the society. “Helping children” is one of the primary motivations for volunteers to choose UNICEF as the number one organization to devote their time and energy. This is great news for UNICEF who strives to increase adolescent participation in the country, using volunteering as one of the means to achieve it.
However, there is still an opinion in society that volunteering is something that is forced to do, and many are ashamed of being a volunteer.
Our efforts are aimed at reducing stigma in society among young people and popularizing the volunteer movement in all regions through various social media.
In modern society, the role of social networks is steadily increasing, since one of their main features are interactivity and availability that are extremely important. Social networks help us to carry out social activities with feedback mechanisms and to transmit organization’s values to wider audience of different age groups.
The intern will have the opportunity to practice his\her social media marketing (SMM) – skills and contribute to the development of volunteering at UNICEF as well as build positive image of a volunteer in Belarus.
Particularly, he or she will be able to be involved in creating content-plans for volunteer social networks. In addition, the incumbent will support the organization by communication with youth and volunteer engagement activities in social networks, including UNICEF’s volunteers page on Instagram.
While the intern will learn more about process of creating appropriate content for an international organization, he/she will also pass on specific knowledge especially on the volunteer recruitment through social media.
Purpose of the assignment
Under the supervision of the Private Partnership Officer, the intern will be able to get more knowledge in the SMM process, as well as creating good and high-quality content for UNICEF’s social networks (e.g. Instagram and possibly other channels in the future), the subject of which is volunteering. The intern will have the opportunity to participate in UNICEF events and apply knowledge about social media in promoting children's rights through various social networks.
- Contribute to the strengthening and the implementation of positive image of UNICEF volunteer using volunteer social networks.
- Create good and high-qualified content-plan for UNICEF volunteer social networks to attract more youth to join UNICEF as well as disseminate information about volunteer engagement and events in line with objectives of UNICEF country priorities in Belarus.
Main activities and outcomes
- Create versatile and interesting to the youth publications, developed in line with UNICEF policy and brandbook and taking into account wishes of volunteers about social networks.
- Undertake lessons learned and review of successful and unsuccessful publication experiences as directed by supervisor.
Communication with volunteers on a daily basis
- Facilitate the on-boarding of new volunteers in social networks (providing necessary information on UNICEF programming in Belarus).
- Provide support for volunteer engagement online in collaboration with the volunteers’ engagement consultant.
Duration and Place of work
The duration of the internship is twenty-six weeks.
The incumbent will be based in Minsk and be available for five, part-time working days per week.
Supervision, Feedback and Reporting
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Private Partnership Officer. If the intern meets required deliverables and shows dedication and outstanding work, he\she can receive a letter of recommendation from the organization.
- National of Belarus.
- University degree or in the last year of university with a focus in Communications, Social Media Management, International Relations, Public Relations, Social/Human/Language Sciences or other related fields.
- Ability to cope with stressful and difficult conditions and political/cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form and to produce reports in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team in an international, multicultural and interdisciplinary environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Knowledge and skills in social media management.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent skills in creating photo and video content for the social media.
- Skills in using digital tools for the photo and video editing.
- Knowledge of the Instagram mechanisms and algorithms.
- Experience in managing Instagram account and creation advertisement campaigns and targeting the specific audience.
- Experience in volunteer or social media related projects is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Russian is essential, both writing and speaking; Belarussian is an asset.
Other Competencies required
- Ability to communicate effectively to varied audiences, including through social networks.
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and consistently achievement of project goals.
- Demonstrates an awareness of changes in organizational strategy that impact on own work area.
- Demonstrates good skills and relevant knowledge in own area.
- Seeks and quickly absorbs new information and techniques.
The candidate is expected to submit:
2. Recommendation letter from university
3. Cover Letter with links to the social network managed by the candidate (preferably Instagram)
All applications will be treated with strict confidentiality.
Applicants should submit their applications in English on-line by closing date 27 October 2020, 23:55 Minsk time, to be eligible for consideration.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.