UNV Interpreter English/Tigrinya
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of The Durable Solutions Officer or The RSD Officer or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV [interpreter] will:
Be assigned to work with one of the Protection Units, namely either RSD, Resettlement, Child Protection/BID or Community Based Protection. The interpreter will report to the Head of the pertinent Unit. The Interpreter and Translator will provide remote operational support to protection, refugee status determination, resettlement, child protection/BID through language support services for persons of concern to UNHCR Libya. The Interpreter will translate oral statements remotely on TEAMs/Skype between English and Tigrinya for RSD, RST, BID interviews as well as for counselling sessions. The interpreter/translation may be asked to translate written documents or statements as necessary.
Act as an interpreter during RSD, RST and BID interviews, training, and counselling, including counselling, for UNHCR Libya. The interviews take place remotely from Tunisia via Skype/TEAMs with the persons of concern in Libya. The interpreter will also translate documents from target languages (Tigrinya) to English and/or Arabic and vice versa as necessary. In the fulfilment of his/her duties the interpreter must abide by relevant standards. In particular:
- The interpreter is required to read, understand and comply with UNHCR’s Code of Conduct and realizes that he/she shall be expected to work in the spirit of the principles set forth therein.
- The interpreter is required to read and understand the Undertaking of Confidentiality and Impartiality and understands that he shall be expected to respect the principle of confidentiality and remain impartial in his/her work.
- The interpreter is required to read and understand, and agree to abide by the standards of conduct set forth in the Secretary- General’s Bulletin, ST/SGB/2003/13 of 9 October 2003, concerning “Special measures for protection from sexual exploitation and sexual abuse”.Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. languages or relevant area (e.g. law, political science, social sciences – preferably in social work etc.);
- Mandatory proficiency in English, Tigrinya, desirable language skills: Arabic, Amharic, Oromo, Somali
- At least 2 years of relevant professional work experience at the national and/or international level; experience working for a humanitarian organization or related activities required, experience working as an interpreter and/or translator strongly preferred;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Tigrinya(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Amharic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Oromo(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Somali(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 29-10-2020