Background Information - Job-specific
* THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO ARE SPANISH OR EUROPEAN UNION CITIZENS OR APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN SPAIN ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION *
This position is in the Operations Support Division (OSD), Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT). OICT provides enterprise-wide oversight of Information Communications Technology (ICT) programmes, budgets and decision-making to ensure alignment with the Secretariat's overall ICT strategy in support of the Organization's mission. OICT is also responsible for the delivery of projects that satisfy the requirements of the UN Secretariat, United Nations Global Service Center (UNGSC), field missions and other supported entities. OICT has implemented a range of infrastructure and application systems and tools to address the principal requirements of its clients to support and enhance the processes UN undertakes.
UNOPS is expected to continue to provide ICT services and will focus on enhancing the Unite Aware, a suite of applications built on various open and closed source technologies in the areas of content management, GIS, analysis, reporting and business intelligence.
The incumbent of this position will be a UNOPS personnel under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the ICT Associate will be responsible for collaborating with the Unite Aware team on the development of the required solutions to address business needs and work directly under the Solutions Architect. The incumbent will:
- Validate functional requirements integration;
- Actively contribute ideas and approaches during design sessions with other developers;
- Contribute to tracking relevant technologies and solutions for improvements;
- Implement solutions for the integration of platforms and applications;
- Perform API Management for different tools;
- Implement message routing strategies;
- Manage high availability queue systems;
- Perform manual and automated testing techniques to ensure the proper performance of deliverable functionalities, providing test cases and avoiding regressions;
- Support in the deployment and maintenance of the infrastructure;
- Support in the development of concepts proposed for implementation in addition to, or as a replacement of, existing solutions;
- Support the creation of user and project documentation;
- Contribute to the tracking and reporting times and efforts invested on the assigned tasks. Knowledge on Atlassian products is highly desirable (Jira, Confluence);
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above
- High school diploma or equivalent is required;
- A University degree or technical/professional diploma in Data Analytics, Statistics, Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, Engineering or related field is an asset or advantage and may replace some of the required number of years of experience.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of ICT, Information Systems, or other related fields.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in APIs management and rest services.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience on Java EE and Tomcat
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience working with Apache ActiveMQ and Apache Camel.
- Fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required for this post.
- Knowledge of one or more official UN languages will be considered an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
- Contract level: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA 6)
- Contract duration: Open-ended (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Sustainable Development Cluster
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.