ICT Intern [AI and Data Science Research Fellow Intern], Multiple positions
New York City (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
Global Pulse is an innovation initiative of the United Nations, exploring how digital data and real-time analytics can be used to understand and respond to changes in human well-being. To this end, Global Pulse is working to promote awareness of the opportunities Big Data presents for relief and development, forge public-private data sharing partnerships, generate high-impact analytical tools and approaches, and drive broad adoption of useful innovations across the UN System.
Global Pulse operates as a network of Pulse Labs, headquartered in New York with Labs in Kampala and Jakarta, together expertise from UN agencies, governments, academia, and the private sector to research, develop, test and share tools and approaches for harnessing real-time data to support decision-making and policy action.This is a position in UN Global Pulse for supporting projects carried out for UN Global Pulse. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
As a member of the Discovery and/or Scaling teams, the intern(s) will provide support on multiple projects related to the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some of the projects to be supported include epidemiological modelling, remote sensing analysis and infodemics monitoring. Under the guidance of the Chief Data Scientist, the intern(s) will be responsible for:
● Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of AI, data science and visual analytics architectures and pipelines to analyze COVID-19-related data for supporting decision making;
● Contribute to innovative solutions that leverage design, AI and machine learning for sustainable development and humanitarian action;
● Support the engineering team to create efficient data processing pipelines that use neural network architectures and other data science methodologies;
● Support the subject experts to visualize and report data findings creatively in a variety of formats, including the design and development of interactive visualizations and dashboards;
● Review and document scientific background research on relevant topics;
● Assist the technical team and researchers in the drafting of scientific publications;
● Perform other related duties as required.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an advanced university degree program (or the equivalent) or have graduated from such studies within (3) three months prior to the application date of the internship. Areas of study include Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Complex Systems, Data Science, Data Visualization, Engineering, Information Design, and other related disciplines.
- Knowledge of Python, R or an equivalent programming environment
- Knowledge of AI frameworks and machine learning software packages (e.g. Keras, TensorFlow, or Torch) is an asset;
- Knowledge of remote sensing, GIS, geospatial data or any other mapping techniques is an asset;
- Knowledge of digital epidemiology, modelling, and biomedical data analysis is an asset;
- Knowledge of NLP methodologies for analysing social media data and social sciences techniques around information sharing is an asset;
- Knowledge of speech-to-text AI technologies is an asset;
- Knowledge of Interactive data visualization development and information design such of D3.js, Crossfilter/dc.js, Leaflet.js, Processing.js, or a similar package is an asset;
- Knowledge of Big Data and real-time analytics technologies, Cloudera/Impala, AWS, Spark and parallel programming paradigms is an asset;
- Multidisciplinary experience in projects that integrate ICTs and social/biomedical sciences is an asset;
- Fluent in English
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration - Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: ASAP - 31 December with the possibly of extension.
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.