UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women’s China Office in Beijing supports and carries out work on (i) enhancing women's economic empowerment; (ii) ending violence against women and (iii) peace, security and humanitarian action. In addition to the above, UN Women also actively participates and contributes to various UN inter-agency processes and collaborates with UN organizations around specific programme areas.
The UN Women China office will now hire a Project Assistant who will be responsible for providing administrative and financial support to the “Strengthening Qinghai Women Farmers’ Income Security and Resilience in a Changing Climate” (QWFIS) project and overall Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE) programme. Under the guidance and supervision of QWFIS Project Manager and WEE Programme Manager, the Project Assistant provides supports by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach in UN Women.
The Project Assistant will work in close collaboration with project manager and other colleagues in China office, as well as remotely with Asia Pacific Regional Office, UN Women HQ and staff of other UN agencies as required to ensure consistent service delivery and to resolve complex administration and finance related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support the effective implementation of the QWFIS Project focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Compile, summarize, and present basic information/data on specific QWFIS initiatives and projects for resource mobilization.
- Review project documents for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures prior to submission for final approval and signature; identifies inconsistencies; distributes project documents to relevant parties upon approval.
- Implement project standard operating procedures in line with the UN Women’s rules and regulations including UN Women Programme and Operations Manual.
2. Support the effective reporting on progress of the QWFIS Project implementation focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support to the preparation of the annual and quarterly work plans as well as meetings, audit, operational and financial closure of the QWFIS Project.
- Support to the preparation of quarterly project reports, in line with the monitoring and reporting guidelines and presents it to the project assurance team on a timely manner;
- Tracking of delivery rate of QWFIS Project, review of budgets of projects and financial reports submitted by partners. Assist in reviewing financial reports/proposals from partners and preparation of information for project/donor reports as part of monitoring and evaluation.
3. Provide administrative and financial support to both QWFIS Project and WEE Programme to ensure the achievement of result-based management focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Create projects for input into Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of the award and status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of a project.
- Coordinate administrative matters related to the project meetings, workshops and conferences including contracting vendors, organizing logistics and travel arrangements.
- Assist in the preparation of the budgets, preparation of contracts and other administrative documents for implementation of project activities. Maintain an effective filing system for both hard and soft versions; maintain an effective tracking system for contracts.
4. Support strategic partnerships, communications and the implementation of resource mobilization for both QWFIS Project and WEE Programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support in updating database of the relevant public and development partners private sector, civil society and other stakeholders who are counterparts for the projects;
- Support documentation of project activities as a tool to communicate results, deepen stakeholder knowledge and buy-in to the project, and resource mobilization for the project.
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing of both QWFIS Project and WEE Programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/projects staff on the two projects.
- Support development and dissemination of knowledge products and other communications materials of the project, including coordination of design/layout and printing.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager.
Key Performance Indicators
- Adherence to UN Women rules and regulations;
- Timely and quality procurement services;
- Perform duties in a transparent and cost-effective manner;
- Provide timely and quality advice to clients;
- Timely and quality reports
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Strong knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Strong IT and web-based management skills;
- Ability to extract and interpret data
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- A Bachelor degree is required;
- Master and above, and bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration or related fields is an asset.
- Bachelors with at least 5 years, or Masters with at least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, procurement, HR, or logistic support service;
- Excellent skills of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset.
- Demonstrated abilities of task tracking, fast learning and quick response.
- Able to work independently and under strict deadlines is required.
- Understanding of international development, resource mobilization, and the UN context is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Mandarin is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.