Programme Officer – Public Financial Management - Nay Pyi Taw
Under its 2018-2022 Strategy, International IDEA will support the integrity of processes and institutions of political participation and representation through strengthening the capacity of formal institutions of political participation and representation, such as parliaments and political parties. In this regard, International IDEA, the European Union (EU) and the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) have entered into an Agreement to implement the project “Support Hluttaw Work on Effective Budget Oversight (SHWEBO)”. The project aims to strengthen representative and inclusive democracy through support for the effective functioning of parliament in Myanmar, by enhancing their legislative, oversight, representative, budgetary and administrative functions. The project focuses both on elected Members of Parliament (MPs), particularly in their capacity as members of public accounts committees and on the staff of committee secretariats.
The outcome objectives for the Action is that the parliamentary public accounts committees:
- exercise their budgetary scrutiny and oversight functions effectively, and
- are transparent, inclusive, gender-sensitive, responsive and accountable to all citizens.
By implementing this Action, International IDEA plans to engage with the targeted parliamentary committees through a combination of activities aimed at inspiring and supporting them. These activities will include practical training on key economic and public financial management concepts, advisory services, sharing comparative experiences of institutional development and reform, facilitating peer-to-peer learning and networking, support for applying a gender-sensitive lens to budget oversight, facilitating platforms of dialogue, and developing and providing knowledge resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides substative support to the design, planning and implemenation of activities in the core areas of the project: capacity development, technical assistance, and research and analysis;
- Serves as a resrouce person in the area of public financial management, including but not limited to budget analysis, expenditure review, external audit, and gender responsive budgeting;
- Assists members of parliament in carrying out their oversight tasks and responsibilities;
- Provides technical contributions to the development of background documents and other communications materials and knowledge products;
- Supports the development of parliamentary needs assessments, baseline mapping and programming;
- Oversees the development of training materials and the organization of trainings for the project;
- Contributes to the preparation of the project’s progress reports and presentations to the EU, FCDO and International IDEA;
- Ensures adherence to both EU, FCDO and International IDEA regulations and procedures in project implementation and reporting;
- Supports the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of the project in accordance with the M&E plan outlined in the project document, responding to both EU and FCDO needs and aligned with International IDEA’s M&E results framework;
- Contributes to the visibility of the project in line with the Communication and Visibility Plan; ensures recognition for the project goals, key messages and the financial support provided by the EU and FCDO is covered at workshops, and in official publications and media outreach;
- Contributes to outcome harvesting and storytelling to communicate the achievements and impact of the project;
- Supports the overall project risk management and actively manages risk as outlined in the project document’s risk analysis and mitigation measures in line with organisational policies and procedures.
- Provides oral and written translations as required;
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism.
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Programme Manager - Public Financial Management
- Has in-depth knowledge in own discipline and good understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner;
- Has good knowledge of public financial management systems, institutions, and practices, including gender responsive budgeting.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management in past experiences.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Fluency in English and Myanmar, written and spoken is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Public Financial Management, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Public Policy, Public Administration or related discipline;
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience (including substantial internships) in the relevant field;
- Experience in economic and financial analysis;
- Knowledge and experience in various quantitative and qualitative research methods;
- Good understanding of public financial management systems, institutions, and practices, including gender responsive budgeting;
- Experience in working in the national budget process is desirable;
- Relevant field experience in the areas of human rights, democracy and governance is desirable.
Terms of Contract
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Myanmar.
Contract duration: fixed-term appointment until 03 January 2023.
Remuneration: GROSS Salary MMK 3 454 958 per month.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 01 November 2020. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Please apply directly by pressing the Send Application button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
Send application Print