Temporary Appointment (364 Days): Finance Assistant , GS-5, #114618, PFP - Geneva, Switzerland
UNICEF, the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, seeks a Finance Assistant, on a temporary appointment to be based in Geneva, If you are passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF works in some of the world's toughest places, to reach the world's most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfil their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The Private Fundraising and Partnerships (PFP) Division works with National Committees, UNICEF country offices and global private sector partners to drive income growth.
The temporary appointment is requested to temporarily replace a staff member on a fixed-term post. The incumbent will be sitting in Financial Services Unit, Operations and Finance Section, PFP.
For every child, Hope
Purpose of the Job
Under the general supervision of the Finance/Accounts Specialist, this incumbent is responsible for reviewing, analyzing and processing Private Sector Fundraising revenue and accounts receivables. In addition, the incumbent is responsible for management of cash forecast of National Committees, and cooperation with UNICEF licensing partners from the financial perspective. Moreover, the incumbent actively contributes to the accounts closure activities to ensure that UNICEF accounting records are timely updated with accurate financial transactions.
The role is responsible for providing a variety of specialized tasks in finance functions, ensuring accurate and timely delivery that follows UNICEF financial rules and regulations, whilst demonstrating the capacity to research, adapt and evaluate irregular cases, and to recommend improvements to process delivery and design.
How can you make a difference?
1. Assist in all aspects related to preparation of reports, compilation of data and answering queries on Private Sector Fundraising revenue and accounts receivables, funds received, adjustments made to ensure financial compliance, accuracy and completeness of data for its inclusion into UNICEF accounting records. Advise internal and external partners on transactions details, discrepancies (if any), and assist to resolve differences in their records.
2. Actively participate in accounts closure activities (monthly, quarterly, yearly). Close year-end accounts and assist in the preparation of year-end reports related to accounts receivable, and revenue, and other items as required.
3. Monitor and report on the timely submission of the Cash Forecast reports (CFR), perform initial analysis of the submitted CFR reports, conduct users’ trainings related to CFR application, actively contribute to the application development and maintenance.
4. Process, analyze and advice on transactions related to UNICEF licensing agreements. Liaise with PFP Fundraising team, National Committees and licensing partners in relation to the revenue from royalties to ensure completeness and accuracy of the respective revenue records.
5. Maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile revenue, revenue related expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports. Verify and ensure accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations, and assuring inclusion of all relevant data.
1. Funds received from private sector donors are reconciled in FRM timely, all the respective differences are resolved
2. Outstanding balances of the PFP fundraising partners are reviewed, reconciled, and monitored for timely settlement
3. Assigned accounting documents are parked and posted in VISION accurately and timely
4. Cash forecast reports submitted by UNICEF National Committees are reviewed with all the comments raised during the review cleared/documented
5. UNICEF licensing partners are invoiced accurately, with all the accounting transactions reflected correctly and timely
6. Period Accounts Closure activities as assigned by the Supervisor are completed accurately and on time
7. All the revenue related transactions assigned for monitoring are reflected completely, accurately and timely
8. Other tasks including projects assignments as per the needs of the organization are completed as agreed.
Estimated Duration of the contract:
- 364 Days tentatively start in 16.11.2020
Finance/Accounts Specialist, Financial Service Unit, PFP
- Geneva, Switzerland
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have...
- Completion of secondary education is required with professional/university level courses in Accounting and Finance considered as an asset.
- A minimum of five years of experience in the area of finance and accounting is required.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French would be an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
The competencies required for this post are:
UNICEF Core Values:
UNICEF Core competencies:
- Communication (Level I)
- Working with People (Level II)
- Drive for Results (Level I)
UNICEF Functional Competencies:
- Analyzing (Level I)
- Applying Technical Expertise (Level I)
- Planning and Organizing (Level I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (Level I)
View our competency framework at:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
General Service Staff are recruited locally. Candidates must be in possession of an existing visa/work permit or be a resident/citizen of Switzerland and/or commuting area to be considered eligible for this position.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.