Partnerships and Communications Intern, Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
The Partnerships and Communications intern will work in the sub-regional office based in Dakar (SMCO) and will report to the Partnerships Specialist. The sub-regional office covers francophone and lusophone West Africa and the Maghreb countries. He / She will support the Partnerships Unit by conducting research on donors and market trends, supporting the implementation of the Communications Plan in order to increase the visibility of UNOPS in the sub-region by communicating on our results and activities, and by providing administrative support to the development and finalization of project documents, including but not limited to project descriptions, budgets, legal accords, gender action plans and risk registers.
- Support the update of the Hub Communication Plan based on the organizational Communication Strategy and the Partnerships outreach strategy
- Support the preparation of external communication materials customized for target key audiences such as donors, UN agencies, governments, foundations, NGOs, civil society and private sector for e ective outreach among existing and potential partners
- Develop contents, presentations, correspondence, briefings, talking points and all other external communication material including content for social media
- Support ensuring that the achievements of the Hub’s outstanding projects are properly captured in the right communication formats for external outreach purpose
- Support Partner Surveys and resulting action plans
- Ensure that organizational systems are updated and populated frequently including the internal Partnerships Unit Google Drive
- When needed, provide regular reports on business acquisition pipeline to the Partnerships Specialist
- When needed, take minutes at internal and/or external meetings, providing action points for follow-up
- Liaise with the Communications and Partnerships colleagues in Headquarters as well as project communication focal points as necessary
- Conduct analysis and mapping of donor priorities, areas of focus and geographical priorities as well as national country strategies
- Prepare business/market analysis reports for major donors and countries in the region to support the development of new engagements opportunities
- Research events, publications and announcements, to track and screen opportunities for possible UNOPS interventions and identify trends that will drive partnership opportunities
Partnerships and Project development
- Support the Hub’s efforts in liaising with potential donors, funding partners, agencies and institutions
- Participate in meetings with potential partners and ensure their systematic and timely follow-up
- Support in the development of project-related documents including project descriptions, budgets, legal accords, risk registers and gender action plans
- Liaise with AFR Regional Office and Headquarters as needed to assure clearances are obtained in order to finalize engagements and move to implementation of projects
- Perform other related duties as required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Researching, writing and editing content that is clear, concise and effectively conveys key messages to target audiences
- Detail focused and ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment
- Knowledge the usage of software packages for publication such as Adobe Creative Suite – especially InDesign, Photoshop or other relevant products commonly used
To be eligible the applicants must be pursuing a university degree such as a Bachelors, Masters or a PhD in Political Science, International Relations, Development Studies, Project Management, Communications, Business Administration, Marketing or other relevant areas or be a recent graduate from such studies (within the last 3 years)
Fluency in French and English (written and spoken) is required
Knowledge of Portuguese and Arabic is an asset
Knowledge of G Suite is an asset but not required
While no prior work experience is required the following experience is highly desirable some professional experience is desirable either in the private or public sector, in areas such as:
- Project Management
- Proposal and project development
- Data analysis
- Partnership Development
- Resource Mobilization
Contract type, level and duration - Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one time travel lumpsum of 500 USD. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - Senegal
The purpose of the Senegal Multi Country Office is to provide efficient and effective support to partners within its jurisdiction in line with UNOPS corporate strategy. Operations in the multi country office are guided by UNOPS mission to expand the capacity of the United Nations system and its partners to implement peace building, humanitarian and development operations that matter for people in need.
Key partners of the Senegal Multi Country Office are the World Bank, the EU, the Islamic Development Bank, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the Global Fund, and other UN agencies, such as UNHCR, and the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). Other potential partnerships in the areas of sustainable energy, youth employment, health and education are: the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency, the Korea International Cooperation Agency and UNICEF.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.