Assc IT Infrastructure SDM Off - IT Platform/End User Devices
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Associate IT Infrastructure SDM Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate IT Infrastructure Service Delivery Management Officer is responsible for ensuring that IT systems and services are available and delivered consistently, reliably, and effectively. The incumbent ensures the corporate Managed Service Providers (MSPs) responsible for delivering IT services and support deliver efficient and effective systems and services in accordance with contractual obligations and best practices. The incumbent coordinates the work of multiple support groups, both internal to UNHCR, as well as MSPs. Understanding the current and future needs, the incumbent ensures that the IT requirements are well understood and that the services and support to staff is adequately provided.
The incumbent will have a specific area of focus (platform, network, end-user devices, other) and has regular contact with corporate MSPs, with other Service Delivery Managers (SDMs), with Solution Engineers, with vendors, with IT staff in Field Offices and all Services of the Division of Information Systems and Telecommunications (DIST). S/he understands and communicates the UNHCR IT strategy and vision, policies, and decisions in a positive manner and leads by example in the adherence and adoption. Some supervision of junior IT staff may be expected.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Ensure service requests and incidents are addressed and resolved promptly within agreed service levels.
- Serve as part of the escalation chain for end-user and operational issues (Incidents & Service Requests) not resolved within established Service Level Agreements (SLAs); coordinate with MSPs to expedite resolution including prioritization and escalation of SLA performance breaches to supervisor or responsible service tower owner.
- Monitor Service Level performance targets (internal and external); including, follow up, validation, and audit of results.
- Work closely with other UNHCR SDMs and MSPs to carry out problem management and root cause analysis to help prevent recurrence of critical problems by executing approved changes.
- Review and validate that Change Management processes are adhered to by both staff and MSPs. Ensure that change, test, and release processes are properly planned and executed. Approve installation of new or upgraded systems and services. Support deployments and testing of new IT components.
- Identify service delivery process improvements. Take part in and assist the implementation of approved service delivery process improvements. Define support processes in accordance with ITIL best-practices.
- Document, update and maintain IT standards which have been selected and approved by the Architecture Review Board.
- Monitor, analyse, and report on system and infrastructure performance and capacity in a timely manner and ensure that service providers take appropriate action.
- Track expenditures against budgets, prepare forecasts, and perform technical verification of invoices from service providers and suppliers against SLA performance targets before payment is approved. Participate in periodic performance review meetings with partners.
- Provide accurate and timely information on operational status and reports to management.
- Ensure audit recommendations and actions are completed in a timely manner.
- Assist in drafting requests for proposals and reviewing support contracts including SLAs, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and Operational Guidelines (OGs).
- Use appropriate communication channels with service providers and other relevant DIST staff.
- Produce guidelines for Field Offices based on UNHCR standards and industry best practices.
- Ensure compliance with Service Management and IT security policies and standards, technical architecture, and service level agreements ¿ report non-compliance as appropriate.
- Escalate issues that cannot be resolved independently to the supervisor as appropriate.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB - 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Information & Communications Technologies *; Computer Science *; Information System *;
Information Technologies *; or other relevant field.;
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
ITIL v3 foundation *; Information Technology *; Project Management;
PBX/VSAT/CISCO Sec/Firewalls; Satellite Communications; Microsoft Tech Specialist;
Windows Server; Telecommunications; Satellite Communications;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Minimum 1 year of experience in IT with managing IT service delivery with SLA based delivery of both centralized and decentralized applications, systems, and services.
- Good understanding and practical experience of ITIL Service Operations processes driven by continuous improvement.
- Experience working with business partners to understand how IT affects an organization and link it to business processes and operational tasks.
- Experience working in infrastructure in at least one of the three fields: network, platform, end user devices.
- Ability to influence negotiations with stakeholders. Strong interpersonal skills that include effective communications (both verbally and written) at all levels; to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience working in a matrixed team to ensure collaborations and effective operations across multiple organizations.
- Experience in project monitoring and control, data analysis, and presentation for executive review and decision making.
- Experience of coordinating activities across different partner organizations developing effective services.
- Formal certification in ITIL Service Operations.
- Experience providing IT services, including in deep field locations.
- Experience acting as an inter-agency IT focal point.
- Solid understanding of application and infrastructure technologies used in IT systems and services.
- Experience of operating in humanitarian or United Nations organizations, with field experience.
*IT-Service Delivery Management;
IT-IT Systems and Standards;
IT-Management of external service providers for IT infrastructure maintenance and support;
IT-IT Technical Troubleshooting;
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software;
IT-IT Cloud Hosting Services;
IT-IT Network Monitoring & Alerting Tools;
IT-IT Security Management;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
M002L2 - Managing Performance Level 2
M003L2 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 2
M006L2 - Managing Resources Level 2
X001L2 - Analytical Thinking Level 2
X003L2 - Technological Awareness Level 2
X008L2 - Stakeholder Management Level 2
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Thursday 29 October 2020 (midnight Geneva time).