Chief of IT Infrastructure Sec
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Chief of IT Infrastructure Section
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The position is located within the IT Operations Service of the Division of Information Systems and Technology (DIST) and reports directly to the Deputy Director.
The incumbent will lead and provide technical direction to ensure optimal operation and maintenance of UNHCR's corporate IT infrastructure (Platform, Network, End-User Devices). UNHCR's platform services covers all IT components hosted in UNHCR centralized and decentralized data centres (centralized, decentralized, field offices, etc.) or on cloud services. The IT network services covers all components required to interconnect UNHCR's office locations, corporate data centres, service providers, and in general all users of UNHCR's systems, wherever they are located. These include terrestrial and satellite telecommunications equipment and services, videoconferencing equipment, personal and station radio equipment, firewalls, routers, WAN accelerators, switches modems, codecs and any other network related hardware, software, or service. The end-user device services cover of all IT components (workstations, mobile devices, etc.) used by the broader user community.
The incumbent has regular contact with the other sections of the IT Operations Service and with the other Services of DIST, as well as with a wide array of contacts internal to UNHCR. The incumbent also has regular contact with the various managed service providers, as well as with IT infrastructure product and service vendors of interest to UNHCR. S/he must be familiar with the latest industry trends in information technology, how these could be of benefit to UNHCR, and how sister agencies are using them. S/he supervises IT Service Delivery Management staff and is responsible for overseeing the relationships with UNHCR's managed services providers (MSPs) that are delivering IT infrastructure systems and services.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Work closely with other DIST leadership to ensure that infrastructure technology roadmaps are planned and developed in support of the emerging needs of the business.
- Ensure optimal operation of UNHCR¿s portfolio of IT infrastructure services through continuous monitoring, maintenance and improvements across all offices and operation sites.
- Oversee and direct service providers (in-sourced and out-sourced). Effectively negotiate statements of work (SOWs) and service level agreements (SLAs) with service providers. Monitor and ensure adherence to SLAs, ensuring IT infrastructure problems are resolved promptly within agreed service levels.
- Drive IT Operations towards productivity improvements and industry best practices to provide cost-effective and customer-focused services while ensuring corporate policies, initiatives, and directives are being followed. Review and approve system improvement plans.
- Identify industry/technology/market trends and work with Solution Engineers to evaluate, test, and recommend new information technologies applicable to the UNHCR environment that are aligned to short, medium, and long-term IT strategic objectives.
- Oversee the development of relevant IT policies, standards, and standard operating procedures and ensure compliance within UNHCR IT operations including by managed service providers.
- Chair the change advisory board for IT Infrastructure systems related changes. Proactively manage the change and release processes and allocate related resources.
- Respond to and complete audit recommendations and actions.
- Provide prompt information and periodic reports to the Deputy-Director ICT Operations and to other senior managers in DIST and outside, as required.
- Escalate issues requiring senior management intervention.
- Coordinate with peers within the IT Operations Service as well as other senior managers within DIST in order to ensure integrated and coherent service delivery across the Division.
- Oversee business as usual and project activities and budgets assigned to IT Operations.
- Lead the team of service delivery managers and ensure they are effectively capacitated to meet the current and future IT operational needs of UNHCR.
- Create a culture of operational excellence and continual improvement which can be effectively measured and demonstrated.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4 - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
*Information Technology; *Computer Engineering; *Information and Communication Technology; Engineering, Business Administration or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
*ITIL v3 foundation
Governance of Enterprise IT
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 12 years (10 years with advanced university degree) of experience in information technology of which 8 should be in managing complex IT infrastructure to support decentralized IT operations in developing countries.
- Significant experience managing and delivering critical IT infrastructure services in an enterprise environment.
- Recent experience running and managing large, complex IT infrastructure in a 24/7, real-time environment.
- Proven ability to manage the delivery of effective IT infrastructure support to a global organization.
- Experience overseeing outsourced service providers to ensure that they meet their contractual obligations.
- Proven track record implementing and managing ITIL processes.
- Experience leading disaster recovery, high availability, and secure infrastructure solutions.
- Proven experience building and successfully leading a matrixed team of staff and service providers, ensuring collaboration and effective operations.
- Proven ability to create a continuous improvement culture with measurable results.
- Experience resolving problems, responding to and completing audit recommendations and actions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to influence, manage and lead negotiations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Project management skills: financial/budget management, scheduling and resource management
- Experience with contract and vendor negotiations
- Knowledge of systems and processes within the United Nations.
- Experience in providing IT infrastructure services to deep field/poorly connected locations.
*IT-IT Operations Management
*IT-Service Delivery Management
*IT-IT Systems and Standards
*IT-IT Vendor Management
*IT-IT Technical Troubleshooting
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
IT-IT Cloud Hosting Services
IT-IT Network Monitoring & Alerting Tools
IT-Video Conferencing Technology
IT-IT Satellite Communications (VSAT)
IT-IT Radio Communications (HF, UHF, VHF)
IT-Local Area Networks (LAN)
IT-IT Wireless Communications Technology
IT-Microsoft Server Technology
IT-Web Server Technology
IT-Wide Area Networks (WAN)
IT-IT Security Management
IT-IT Unix/Linux Server Technology
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English. C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4
X003L4 - Technological Awareness Level 4
X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Thursday 29 October 2020 (midnight Geneva time).