Environment Governance Associate
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the general supervision of the Officer overseeing the environment governance subprogramme or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will:
- Research the environment governance situation in the region and propose entry points for planning and conducting activities to enhance the legislative and institutional capacities in countries of the region
- Provide support and review for environmental legislations
- Support the engagement of the regional office in the environment dimension of sustainable development, SDGs and the Voluntary National reviews through the substantive review of relevant documents, reports and processes
- Support the development, planning and coordination of projects under the subprogramme (in particular Green Gulf Initiative and the NGO Capacity Building projects)
- Prepare comprehensive and detailed progress reports on the assigned projects and activities
- Provide operational support to the implementation of the assigned projects, facilitating project missions, meetings and workshops
- Identify and prepare partners profiles with potential to contribute to subprogramme development and implementation
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in a relevant area, e.g. environment law, project management or area related to environmental management; a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree;Required experience: 60 Months Experience remark:
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in project- and programme management or resources mobilization or other relevant programmes; experience with environmental projects is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in the environment, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required, fluency of spoken and written Arabic is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Fluent
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 02 November 2020