Construction Engineering Technician - Analyst (Technical Surveyor)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Afghanistan
With more than 20 years of experience in the country, UNOPS Afghanistan focuses on providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan through delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s national priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operations Centre (AFOC) serves as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads, bridges, justice and security, health, and water supply) development, procurement services, HR services, capacity building, and humanitarian protection, amongst others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan, the international donor community, and other UN agencies.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to contribute to the achievement of the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide efficient and cost-effective implementation services on behalf of all our partners to support the reconstruction and development of the country. UNOPS AFOC’s mission is to exceed the expectations of all stakeholders in the delivery of AFOC’s services, at all times, in all places, in all circumstances, in order to improve significantly the lives of all Afghans in need.
Programme Established in 2015, Resolute Support (RS) is a NATO-led, non-combat mission with a mandate to train, advise and assist the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces (ANDSF), who assumed nationwide responsibility for Afghanistan’s security following the conclusion of the previous NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission.
The purpose of RSHQ is to help the Afghan security forces and institutions develop the capacity to protect its citizens in a sustainable manner and to manage/improve security enhancements with Kabul city. The purpose of the UNOPS/RSHQ engagement is to support NATO for both the ANA Trust Fund and Kabul Security Force funding streams; for procurement of goods and services, contract management, maintenance of equipment(s), physical security enhancements, construction projects and construction work packages, as well as coordination and facilitation of RSHQ operations, programs and activities (non-kinetic only).
The UNOPS/RSHQ engagement is a complex and challenging programme which is set to expand significantly during 2020 and beyond.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Construction Engineering Technician - Analyst will report directly to the Project Manager (PM) in full coordination with the design engineer and other projects team. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the PM, the Construction Engineering Technician - Analyst shall provide his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any tasks assigned works.
The Construction Engineering Technician - Analyst shall be responsible for submitting high quality survey data, drawings, estimation of quantities, documentation and site works that are carried out on time.
Specifically, the Construction Engineering Technician - Analyst will be responsible for multiple construction sites and shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Supporting the Project Manager and team to ensure the overall and timely delivery of UNOPS RSHQ Project in Herat Province;
- Understanding the technical specification and scope of work of contractors that have been assigned to him/her by the Project Manager or his/her assignee
- Support the PM, project engineers and team members in planning, scheduling of tasks and developing integrated construction documentation;
- When requested, conduct the field topographical and other engineering survey
- When requested, review the shop drawings and submittals
- When requested, review the preliminary cost estimates for the project;
- Support site inspections and assessments and prepare subsequent comments and reports;
- Document the positioning of all fittings / thrust blocks in the drawings and maintain accurate records for utilizing the data to generate As-Built drawings;
- When requested, prepare and maintain sketches, maps, reports, and legal descriptions of surveys in order to describe, certify, and assume liability for work performed; and produce required survey documents for design purposes\
- Assist the PM/ design team in verifying the accuracy of survey data, including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites;
- Support/review surveys in order to establish legal boundaries for properties, based on legal deeds and titles;
- Document the results of surveys, including the shape, contour, location, elevation, and dimensions of land or land features;
- Review the calculations of heights, depths, relative positions, property lines, and other characteristics of terrain;
- Prepare preparation of all data, charts, plots, maps, records, and documents related to surveys;
- Review the fixed points for use in making maps, using geodetic and engineering instruments;
- Review the longitudes and latitudes of important features and boundaries in survey areas, using Total station and satellite-based global positioning systems (GPS);
- Review the survey objectives and specifications survey submitted by the Contractor on site.
- Assist the Project team in revising the design documents as per the proposed changes;
- Coordinate with Architects, Structural, Water Supply, Electronic Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, and other units as applicable, to ensure dissemination of surveying data;
- Checking the layout of the under construction structures;
- Organise, conduct and supervise implementation of detailed topographic surveys of project at the construction stages;
- Conduct pre- and post-construction surveys and ensure the construction is in accordance with the approved design drawings and BoQ;
- Work closely with the project designers to ensure proper collection, dissemination and use of survey data;
- Ensure surveying equipment is well maintained and in good working condition;
- Report regularly to the Project Manager and keep the record of all survey related documents;
- Mentoring and building the capacity of counterpart surveyors;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor;
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering/Geodesy or a relevant field from a recognized university;
B. Work Experience
Minimum 4 years of work experience as surveyor in road construction and/or water supply pipeline distribution projects required;
Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with the Government authorities and community organizations;
Previous work experience with the United Nations or any of its agencies, partners and affiliate is desirable but not a requirement;
Working knowledge of MS Office programs, MS Project, AutoCAD Civil 3D and other appropriate Design software;
Knowledge of G Suit Package
Knowledge of UN/UNOPS rules and regulations is an advantage;
Fluency in both written and oral English is required;
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Specialist Contract level: LICA-8
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.