Nutrition and Food Security Education Intern
Tucson (United States of America)
The Nutrition and Food Security Intern works in close coordination with Case Managers to educate newly arrived refugee families about nutrition and how to access nutritious foods in their communities.Through home visits and field trips, the NFS Intern will implement nutrition education curriculum around meal planning, food safety, storage, and health and wellness through diet choices.The goal of this program is to teach new families to make healthy meal choices from day one and be an active participant in their own preventative health plan.
• Coordinate with interpreters, case managers and newly arrived families to implement nutrition curriculum within first two weeks of arrival
• Transport families to local grocery stores to implement curriculum on how to identify and purchase nutritious foods
• Conduct follow up visits with the family to provide additional education around meal planning and selecting nutritious alternatives as appropriate for family composition
• Identify basic health issues related to nutritional deficiencies and adapt curriculum to meet these educational needs
• Track and document all field activities.
Reports To: Katrina Martinez