Head of User Support Services
Vacancy no.: RAPS/3/2020/INFOTEC/01
Publication date: 03 November 2020
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 04 December 2020
Job ID: 4237
Organization Unit: TMS
Contract type: Fixed Term
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
Staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are encouraged to apply.
Applications from officials who have reached their age of retirement as defined in Article 11.3 of the Staff Regulations on or before 31 December 2017, or who have already separated from ILO service upon retirement or early retirement, will not be considered.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ILO welcomes applicants with experience in working within ILO constituents (governments, employers’ and business membership organizations, and workers’ organizations).
Applicants from non- or under-represented member States, or from those member States which staffing forecasts indicate will become non- or under-represented in the near future would be particularly welcome. A list of these countries can be found here: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/Non--and-under-represented-member-States/
In addition to the interviews and tests that any candidate may be required to take, successful completion of the ILO Assessment Centre is required for all external candidates and any internal candidate applying to a higher category.
The position is located in the Technology Management Services Branch (TMS) within the Information and Technology Management Department (INFOTEC). INFOTEC provides modern, secure, and reliable IT infrastructure, technologies, applications and services to enable the ILO to effectively use technology to perform its mission.
TMS conceptualizes, delivers, and supports the technology that its clients need to work effectively. It is focused on reducing risk, enabling mobile and productive staff, and identifying efficient and effective solutions to meet the demands of clients.
The position will provide technical direction and leadership to the User Support Services unit . This “hands on” role will oversee the work of approximately 12 staff providing support for the end user computing environment at ILO headquarters, as well as second level support for the end users in the regions.
The position will report to the Chief of TMS.
1. Responsible for the technical support of the Technology Management Services User Support Services unit and its staff. Develop and ensure the effective delivery of the unit work plan, in line with the relevant outcomes and targets specified in the Office’s Information Technology strategy. Oversee and direct day-to-day activities of the unit and identify the resources needed to ensure that there is adequate staffing capacity to meet evolving requirements over the entire budgeting period.
2. Engage in project management for technologies related to desktop systems, directory services, user management, end user hardware replacement, and mobile device management. Provide leadership, articulate strategies and plan for the execution of IT projects. Manage tasks, estimate costs, manage risks, monitor adherence to project timelines, allocate resources appropriately and manage work prioritization between operations and project tasks.
3. Draft, publish and maintain strategic, policy and standards documents related to end users devices, desktops, laptops, mobile devices, file system data, email and ILO user accounts. Ensure the correct implementation of these standards and procedures. Undertakes regular reviews of standard operating procedures and associated workflows for continued relevance.
4. Manage technology services provision according to the principles established in the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) guidelines. Ensures that Incident, Problem, Service Request, Release and Change Management processes are well defined and followed by the User Support staff at headquarters and in the ILO field offices. Manage all team changes to system configurations and software through standard approval protocols. Liaise with users and IT partners on release scheduling and communication of progress. Conduct post implementation reviews and apply lessons learned.
5. Ensure that appropriate action is taken to anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in desktop related systems and services. Provide support ad assist with problem resolution activities. Ensure that problems are fully documented within the relevant reporting system(s). Implement agreed remedies and preventative measures and ensure that cross team knowledge transfer sessions are initiated as appropriate.
6. Establish, maintain, publish and track service level agreements pertaining to end user device services and their support. Monitor the ticket management system and take action to ensure that the support staff meet established service levels. Ensure that agreed housekeeping and monitoring activities are undertaken systematically. Work with the Head of the Service Desk to review service level breaches, identify capacity issues and implement required changes.
7. Keep abreast of industry trends, undertaking technical research to identify new software and piloting to evaluate how these packages improve the end user experience and productivity. Work with key stakeholders, strategic vendors and counterparts in other organizations in finding innovative and cost effective ways to improve the effectiveness of services being provided.
8. Define technical terms of reference, and qualitative and quantitative evaluation criteria for relevant request for proposals (RFP) and similar procurement processes. Take the lead on complex procurement activities. Participate in evaluation panels and prepare evaluation reports for submission to the Contracts Committee.
9. Lead and oversee the process for tracking and replacing end user equipment across the entire organisation. Ensure that equipment is targeted for replacement as it reaches the end of its useful life and that the appropriate budgets are charged. Actively participate in the choice of new devices. Oversee logistics for delivery of equipment to field offices and projects. Ensure that the inventory of software licenses, PCs, laptops mobile phones and other end user equipment is complete and current.
10. Ensure that all patches relevant to end user hardware and software have been evaluated, tested and implemented in compliance with accepted standards for Information Security, Change and Release Management.
11. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
- Coordinate and be directly involved in the operation, maintenance and development of the elements of the Enterprise Network at headquarters and in the field.
- Define and update the information technology strategy for the organization. Establish office standards for hardware, operating systems, tools, applications and enterprise systems software.
- Establish work plans, schedules and guidelines for the introduction of new equipment, new standards and new services.
- Manage the appropriate elements of the unit’s budget as requested by higher level Chief.
- Organise work-related information networks with the departments and units in HQ and field offices to improve interdepartmental contacts.
- Participate in working groups where office-wide information technology involves and affects the unit’s organisation or duties. Represent the organization in inter-organisational bodies where technical policies are to be defined which are important for the organization’s IT strategy update.
- Provide expert advice and guidance on managing change in the work environment resulting from the introduction of new technologies.
Advanced university degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, Engineering or a related discipline with an Information Technology focus. A combination of a relevant first-level university degree and four years of experience in addition to the ten years’ experience mentioned below may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
Recent (within the last four years) Microsoft Certification in Active Directory or three years experience providing operational support for the Active Directory would be an advantage.
Hands on familiarity with device management tools and reports; Understanding of the Azure Active Directory and Advanced Threat Protection tools.
An ITIL Foundation certification (V3 or more recent) is required. One ITIL Service manager certification would be an advantage.
Project management certification such as Prince 2 Practitioner or PMI PMP certificate would also be an advantage.
At least ten years of progressively responsible international IT experience, including five years of experience in supervising relatively large IT support teams with considerable operational responsibilities.
Demonstrated experience working in a service support role.
Considerable experience drafting complex RFPs for external provision of infrastructure services, and turnkey project implementations.
Excellent command of English and a working knowledge of French or Spanish.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
Solid project management skills with ability to multitask and manage multiple small to large projects in a cross-functional environment.
Solid understanding of Microsoft O365 technologies. Competences in scripting (powershell, vbs)
Strong analysis, design and implementation experience with IT infrastructure.
Ability to analyse complex user requirements and translate them into specific project deliverables.
Ability to present and explain technical information in a way that establishes rapport, persuades others and gains understanding.
Strong client focus and ability to manage client expectations and create trusting relations.
Demonstrated ability to motivate team members and to apply skills and techniques to solve dynamic problems.
Ability to communicate needs to IT staff and clients, as well as ensure that plans are in place and standards are adhered to.
Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills.
Demonstrated skills and ability in coordinating activities and formulating guidelines and
Demonstrated ability to effectively monitor and evaluate work programme and resources.
Excellent analytical, diagnostic and problem-solving skills.
Ability to identify trends, draw conclusions and to persuade management of the advantages of proposed new policies and procedures.
Efficiently plans, develops, implements and monitors the work programme to ensure timely and cost-effective delivery of results that best serve the interests of the organization. Effectively utilizes resources. Provides sound and innovative advice on a wide range of systems development related issues and problems. Establishes effective collaboration and partnerships with officials at all levels inside and outside the organization. Negotiation skills. Excellent supervisory, organizational and management skills.
Proven leadership skills, operational decision making, and ability to drive change and introduce new working methods. Excellent client service attitude and behaviour. The ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- The first contract will be issued for a twenty-four month period.
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/
Any officials of the General Service category interested in applying to this position are hereby informed that, if selected, they will be offered the salary and allowances applicable to the grade of the position applied for, which may result in substantial changes in their take-home remuneration. In accordance with Article 3.4 of the Staff Regulations, the salary of an official, upon promotion, shall in no case be greater than the maximum salary of the grade to which he or she was promoted. For any questions or clarifications, please contact your HR partner at email@example.com
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website at https://jobs.ilo.org/. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 3 to 4 months following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.