Analytics and Application Solutions Unit Head
Vacancy no.: RAPS/3/2020/INFOTEC/02
Publication date: 03 November 2020
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 04 December 2020
Job ID: 4475
Organization Unit: AMS
Contract type: Fixed Term
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
Staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are encouraged to apply.
Applications from officials who have reached their age of retirement as defined in Article 11.3 of the Staff Regulations on or before 31 December 2017, or who have already separated from ILO service upon retirement or early retirement, will not be considered.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to email@example.com.
The ILO welcomes applicants with experience in working within ILO constituents (governments, employers’ and business membership organizations, and workers’ organizations).
Applicants from non- or under-represented member States, or from those member States which staffing forecasts indicate will become non- or under-represented in the near future would be particularly welcome. A list of these countries can be found here: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/Non--and-under-represented-member-States/
In addition to the interviews and tests that any candidate may be required to take, successful completion of the ILO Assessment Centre is required for all external candidates and any internal candidate applying to a higher category.
1. Lead and manage a team of business/functional analysts, technical leads, developers and project managers to deliver fit for purpose, quality IT application, analytic and visualization solutions. Manage the financial and human resources effectively to achieve timely and successful delivery of organizational priorities with a team oriented and harmonious knowledge sharing culture.
2. Develop and/or implement custom and off-the-shelf solutions to meet organizational needs. Ensure work practices are efficient, follow auditable processes and adhere to industry and ILO standards for software development and implementation. Evaluate new solution requirements and releases of software/versions to determine impact on existing application and technology footprint. Lead and conduct activities to design processes, automate manual processes, configure applications and implement customizations to ensure integrated, effective and efficient stable solutions meet ILO needs.
3. Oversee software/solution design, usability and integration across application and technology platforms. Ensure self-service and user focused applications are intuitive, work seamlessly and data/information is singularly maintained where possible.
4. Establish and manage strategic partnerships with a global network of service providers according to organizational procurement practices to provide a range of capabilities and capacities in different modalities (onshore, offshore, near shore). Administers vendor contracts to ensure funds are appropriately allocated, controlled and tracked to ensure deliverables and expected service levels are met. Monitor and take actions as needed to ensure value for money is realized for services being provided by third-party vendors. Ensure vendor service level agreements (SLA) and key performance indicators (KPI) are implemented, monitored and reported on.
5. Act as a trusted advisor by building and maintaining relationships with business unit leaders. Foster collaboration and works closely with ILO departments and offices to understand their core objectives and processes and helps to identify, define and document areas of digital strength, weakness, opportunity and threat. Work with key stakeholders to develop and implement project communication and change management strategies to weave digital technologies and new ways of working into the culture of the Office. Take the necessary steps to remove barriers and/or accelerate the pace of change in accordance with established deadlines.
6. Contribute towards the development of Information Technology Strategy and effectively enable the implementation of solutions and projects within the ILO IT governance framework. Lead or prepare business cases, project management documents, resource estimates, TCOs, etc. in accordance with ILO, project management, ITIL and other applicable standards.
7. Define quality metrics and controls, risk management strategies and issue resolution procedures. Analyse, assess, document, monitor and manage any potential risk to overall organizational objectives and notify management of risk events requiring escalation and mitigation.
8. Keep abreast of technological advances and initiatives and makes appropriate recommendations to management with regards to strategic direction. Initiate innovative technical solutions to exceed business requirements and add value to the overall strategic and operational objectives of the ILO. Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless support and service.
9. Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Manage the appropriate elements of the unit’s budget as requested by higher level Chief.
2. Participate in working groups where office-wide information technology involves and affects the unit’s organization or duties.
3. Represent the organization in inter-organizational bodies where technical policies are to be defined which are important for the organization’s IT strategy update.
4. Provide expert advice and guidance on managing change in the work environment resulting from the introduction of new technologies.
5. Develops and determines a course of action in the following ERP and application areas: solutions scoping, requirements analysis, gap analysis, feasibility, functional design, application configuration, integration testing, user acceptance testing, production deployment, support and training.
6. Define standards and procedures for validating the integrity and operational viability of existing business processes. Ensure all associated procedures and documentation are being maintained according to evolving business requirements.
7. Perform strategic impact analysis of existing processes, systems and structures requiring change and provides estimates of effort. Evaluate the design, quality, stability and maintainability of custom code developed to fill gaps between standard ERP functionality and business requirements. Review design and development efforts that will support future enhancements.
8. Perform and oversee troubleshooting of functional issues; determine if functional requirements are met by existing software and develops action plans to correct deficiencies; support the Office during cutover and transition to new software releases.
9. Lead and coordinate investigations of reported application problems and work with functional/business analysts to test, diagnose and isolate the root cause of problems. Review incident reports for further investigation by technical operations and development experts. Coordinate further diagnosis and tests as necessary to assist with and recommend workarounds where appropriate.
10. Work to develop client relationships by listening, understanding and anticipating needs, and suggesting appropriate solutions to ensure client satisfaction and continuous alignment with the client's business needs.
Advanced university degree in Information Technology Management, Computer Science, Business Management/Administration or other related field that is relevant to the scope of the assignment. A combination of a relevant first-level university degree and four years of experience in addition to the ten years’ experience mentioned below may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
Project management certification such as Prince 2 Practitioner or PMI PMP certificate would be an advantage.
At least ten years of experience within application technology areas such as architecture, application development, enterprise solution operation and management with a minimum of five years of direct experience with ERP applications.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience should be at the international level.
- A minimum of five years of experience leading application development teams or leading implementations of enterprise applications/solutions.
- Must have proven experience in project management, change management, performance management, customer and vendor relationship management, risk management and business process modeling/reengineering.
Excellent command of one official language (English, French, Spanish) of the Organization and a working knowledge of a second official language. One of them must be English.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
The incumbent should have strong analytical and critical thinking skills, and a thorough understanding of project management principles, implementation methodologies and best business practices. A mixture of management/leadership and technical development skills are required for the role.
Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments within an international or United Nations (UN) family organization.
Effective time management skills and multi-tasking capabilities including meeting deadlines; ability to work independently and effectively at all levels of a collaborative team environment; strong leadership, administrative and organizational skills.
Ability to solve complex business and technology issues which cross organizational boundaries and technologies; ability to document problems, impacts and resolution options in a clear and concise manner; ability to liaise and negotiate with the organization to develop solutions.
Sound understanding of administrative application implementation methodologies and best practices.
Sufficient understanding of relevant business operations, policies and procedures within the UN environment; capability to gather, document and analyze information; ability to draw conclusions, define strategies and suggest solutions; discern criticality of issues and appropriately escalate to resolve within needed timelines.
Verbal and written communication skills including the ability to structure and develop case studies, solution proposals, presentations, project plans, etc.
Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes and application development and implementation methodologies
Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations including the ability to translate business needs into solution architecture requirements.
Ability to estimate the resource impact of solution architecture alternatives.
Extensive knowledge in the following technical areas:
Application Solution Architecture, Design and Implementation
Systems analysis, development, planning, and documentation methods and standards
Software development tools, methodologies and coding best practices
Application Development Tools
Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- The first contract will be issued for a twenty-four month period.
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/
Any officials of the General Service category interested in applying to this position are hereby informed that, if selected, they will be offered the salary and allowances applicable to the grade of the position applied for, which may result in substantial changes in their take-home remuneration. In accordance with Article 3.4 of the Staff Regulations, the salary of an official, upon promotion, shall in no case be greater than the maximum salary of the grade to which he or she was promoted. For any questions or clarifications, please contact your HR partner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website at https://jobs.ilo.org/. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 3 to 4 months following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.