Project Manager - Support to Justice Sector Reform in Moldova - Reinforcing the National Capacities to Provide Efficient Skills-Based Training for Legal Professionals (NIJ II)
Reform in the justice sector is a key area in Moldova’s national development policies and plans. Although important efforts have been deployed during the last years to improve the efficiency, transparency, fairness and accessibility of the justice sector, the justice system still fails to deliver at the level of users’ expectations. The problem of inadequate and insufficient reasoning/argumentation of judicial acts represents an issue of major concern for the whole judicial system. Judgments that are clear, logical and comprehensive advance the rule of law by helping the population better understand the rules and engender respect for judicial institutions and judicial professionals. Through its mandate, the NIJ can directly influence the quality of judicial acts, the reform of the justice system and ultimately the trust of people in justice institutions and processes.
Therefore, the general objective of the Project is to foster a more efficient justice system accessible to all by reinforcing national capacities and structures to provide efficient skills-based training for legal professionals in Moldova.
Acknowledging the importance of professionalism in ensuring efficient justice delivery and equal access to justice for all, the Project will strengthen the institutional capacities and further reinforce the physical infrastructure of the National Institute of Justice to enable an environment for nurturing next-generation justice professionals, equipped with skills, knowledge and competences compliant with the demand for efficient justice. To this end, the NIJ will be assisted in laying the foundation and incorporating concepts of legal research, reasoning and writing into the professional training of judges and prosecutors, building upon the NIJ’s vision on practice-oriented training program.
The NIJ will be supported to upgrade its digital offer by further developing, integrating and enhancing the learning technology, capability and content to improve retention and acceleration of immersive skills-based learning. Engaging with the institution in digital transformation efforts will also respond to emerging needs to ensure the business and training continuity of the NIJ during a crisis situation.
The project will also focus on possible gender imbalances or influences. Efforts will be made to ensure that Project activities engage both men and women and reflect balance and inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Effective Governance Cluster Programme Analyst the incumbent provides effective and efficient management of the Projects through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of project activities. The Project Manager applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. He/she is responsible and accountable to the Project Board for the project results.
The Project Manager works in close collaboration with the Project Associate, as well as with Programme, Operations, Communications and other teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Summary of Key Functions:
The incumbent will ensure the provision of development services and products (commensurate with the scope of the project) of the highest quality and standards to national counterparts and clients through applying Human Rights-Based Approach (HRBA) and gender equality (GE) approaches. More specifically:
1. Strategic visioning for the overall Project and guidance to project staff in close cooperation with project stakeholders:
- Advise on national developments relevant to Project’s objectives;
- Provide substantive research input; accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information to ensure proper policy advice and programme implementation;
- Conduct analytical work (e.g. institutional and risk analyses, capacity assessment, policy reviews and briefs) on the project key areas, highlighting UNDP support and strategy;
- Promote information sharing with the relevant donor community by initiating and/or participating (when delegated) in consultative meetings with the donors and preparing briefs on justice sector developments and activities.
2. Project Management:
- Assume full responsibility for and manage effectively and efficiently all project activities and resources (human, financial, physical / material assets, etc.) in order to meet expected results.
- Develop annual activity and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected year-end outputs; ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements;
- Build, motivate and lead a high performing team consisting of project personnel, expert consultants, translators, etc.;
- Apply UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide, including the utilization of the Project Management Module in Atlas. Keep abreast of UNDP programming practices and maintain an optimum level of knowledge by continuous learning, including in the areas of HRBA and GE;
- Liaise with the national counterparts, donors and the UNDP office to ensure that Project results are achieved, and Project resources are managed efficiently and effectively;
- Ensure qualitative substantive and financial progress reports as may be required by the project. Ensure periodic procurement/contracting and financial delivery reports for UNDP management. Ensure the efficient use of financial resources of the Project, including budget revisions as well as expenditure tracking and reporting, as needed;
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study tours and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project;
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top-quality progress reports;
- Ensure timely presentation of work-plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Project Board and UNDP Country Office;
- Effectively manage other project-related activities and components and perform any other duties connected directly with the implementation of the Project as required.
3. Support Resource Mobilization and Partnership Building:
- Maintain and facilitate effective communication with public, national partners and among stakeholders, ensure wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Engage with relevant donors (when delegated) and contribute to the UNDP resource mobilization efforts;
- Ensure that Project interventions are implemented in a Human Rights Based Approach and respect principles of Gender Equality. Raise awareness of project partners on HRBA and GE.
4. Knowledge Management:
- Promote information sharing within the Effective Governance Cluster and other CO teams, with national and local stakeholders and the relevant donor community by initiating and/or participating in consultative meetings and preparing briefs on justice sector developments and activities;
- Ensure quality of Project’s communication and visibility products and their wide dissemination. Participate in national and international fora, making substantive contributions as appropriate.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Outcome 1 from the UN-RM Partnership Framework for Sustainable Development 2018-2022: The people of Moldova, in particular the most vulnerable, demand and benefit from democratic, transparent and accountable governance, gender-sensitive, human rights- and evidence-based public policies, equitable services, and efficient, effective and responsive public institutions. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Steering Committee and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ensures that programmes and projects are consistent with UN/UNDP values;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Focuses on tasks/activities which have a strategic impact on programme and capacity development activities;
- Promotes a supportive environment to enhance partnerships, leverages resources and build support for UNDP’s strategic initiatives;
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve UNDP’s development objectives within the country and regional context;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise / In-depth knowledge of the Subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting;
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems;
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional for a;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents;
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals as laid down in the Project Document;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent of 5 years University Degree) in law, human rights, public administration, international relations or related areas. Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least 7 (seven) years of progressive working experience in the design, management and implementation of project-type activities in justice, law enforcement or human rights areas and/or working in a relevant position to this post;
- Experience in working with justice chain institutions (judiciary, prosecution, police, legal aid, etc.) is a strong advantage;
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, governmental institutions, NGO or private sector / consulting firm is a strong advantage;
- Extensive experience in managing a multidisciplinary team;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: • Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian.
• Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Russian, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters.
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.