New York City (United States of America)
The Investigator for the East Africa, West Africa and Great Lakes regions will assist the IRC Ethics and Compliance Unit (ECU) conduct investigations of allegations involving fraud, waste, abuse, corruption, beneficiary exploitation and abuse, and other misconduct.In this role, you will support IRC programs to ensure continued vigilance with regard to the risks associated with violations of IRC’s Code of Professional Conduct and Policies the law/regulations and the further development of complaints mechanisms and investigation capacity. You will additionally collaborate with other IRC functional areas and programs to support our partners, sub-grantees and other agencies in encouraging a work environment that minimizes the potential for misconduct.
Two commitments lie at the foundation of the IRC’s work: 1) our unceasing quest to serve the needs of our beneficiaries; and 2) our determination to meet the requirements of our donors as trusted stewards of their resources.This position will play a key role in meeting these challenges by furthering a critical mission of the ECU - to safeguard our employees, beneficiaries, staff and resources from misconduct and abuse in complex and high-risk operating environments through investigating allegations of fraud, collusion and corruption in the use of the grant funds.Given the nature of our work, the position requires extensive travel on field missions to conduct investigations at IRC locations.
The position will be located in Nairobi for Kenyan applicants. For all other applicants the location will be remote working or from an IRC office, with primary responsibilities for investigations in East, West and Great Lakes region in Africa.
• Undertake investigations of alleged fraud, corruption, waste, safeguarding and any other type of misconduct, with objectivity, impartiality and fairness throughout the investigative process and in accordance with generally recognized international investigative standards and IRC guidelines;
• Formulate investigation plans, review and analyze all information to determine its relevance and reliability, conduct interviews of staff and other parties, record interviews, acquire and analyze potential documentary and electronic evidence, conduct investigative research, prepare draft investigation reports, and present investigative results in a clear written form;
• Prepare reports and ad hoc briefs pertaining to investigations in coordination with the Senior Investigator, Ethics and Compliance Unit management, and others as appropriate;
• Prepare recommendations for corrective actions and improved controls and effectiveness or efficiency of IRC operations;
• Aid in the prioritization of investigative work in consultation with Ethics and Compliance Unit management;
• Participate in developing and revising compliance-related best practices and lessons learned from investigative work;
• Engage regularly with Country Directors and Regional Vice Presidents on investigations;
• Work with Compliance Coordinators or other local staff assigned to support investigations;
• Deliver investigation training, remotely and in person, to Country Program staff supporting investigations.
Position Reports to: Senior Investigator
Position directly supervises:None
Other Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: Headquarters departments, international and U.S. program operations
External:International representatives, partners, vendors, service providers and external auditors as needed