Deputy Regional Director, West and Central Africa Region (WCARO) Dakar, Senegal - D1
The Deputy Regional Director reports directly to the Regional Director of WCARO. The position is located in the Regional Office in Dakar, Senegal and covers several UNFPA country offices within the region.
How You Can Make A Difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The Deputy Regional Director supports the Regional Director in the day-to-day leadership, programming and representation of the Office. In addition, he/she directs and guides the regional teams of technical and programme staff and when required, will lead the Regional Office in the absence of the Regional Director.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree in any of the following disciplines: Public Health, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, Economics, International Development, Public Administration, Management or other related fields.
- 15 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which 10 years should be in the field of population and development at the international level, preferably with the UN.
- Strong track record of leadership in development programmes.
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of technical and programme specialists to achieve demonstrable results.
- Extensive network within the development community.
- Field experience is essential.
- Fluency in both French and English, with exemplary communication skills (written and spoken) is a requirement.