Municipal Technician for 3 Posts (Dili/Atauro; Bobonaro and Manatuto)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), as central in the United Nation’s global development network, is mandated to take upon an advisory role in driving the Sustainable Development Agenda, based on Member State’s priorities and each country context. Currently, the UNDP is present in 170 countries.
Anchored in the 2030 Agenda for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and committed to the principles of universality, equality and leaving no one behind, the UNDP has issued the UNDP Strategic Plan 2018-2021 as guideline to help countries achieve SDGs by focusing UNDP’s competence and expertise on three sets of development settings:
1. Eradicate poverty in all its forms and dimensions;
2. Accelerate structural transformation for sustainable development (addressing inequalities & exclusions, transitioning to zero-carbon development & building a more inclusive accountable governance system);
3. Build resilience to shocks and crises.
Aligned with the Strategic Plan, UNDP supports the National Government of Timor-Leste at the policy and program implementation level, working overall to support country’s national priorities to:
- Reduce inequalities, including by gender, to ensure inclusive development;
- Improve access to social protection;
- Improve natural resources management and address issues in climate change mitigation and adaptation for a greener and resilient development;
- Enhanced access to justice and more accountable public institutions.
The Project’s objective is to ensure that the poor and most vulnerable communities in Timor-Leste have equitable and sustainable access to basic services required for improving livelihoods.
Partnerships between the UNDP and National Government counterparts is grounded in the understanding that contributions of knowledge and expertise are increasingly important for countries such as Indonesia and Timor-Leste. For the National Government of Timor-Leste to accelerate and widen the coverage of services to address climate change and inequality, UNDP Indonesia in conjunction with UNDP Timor-Leste has sought further collaboration with and funding support from KOICA Indonesia. Through this South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC), photovoltaic (PV) water pumps and Highly Efficient Solar Lamp System (LTSHE) are to be implemented in remote villages of Indonesia and Timor-Leste providing sustainable access to clean water and lighting.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Municipal Technician will work under the National Project Manager for Accelerating Clean Energy to Reduce Inequality (ACCESS) to support the implementation of ACCESS project. The Municipal Technician will report and collaborate directly with the International and National Renewal Energy Engineers to manage the delivery of ACCESS project on South to South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTC) between UNDP Indonesia and Timor-Leste for the feasibility study, design, engineering, procurement and construction of Solar PV Water pumps and Highly Efficient Solar Lamp System (LTSHE) project in the Municipality of Dili (Atauro), Bobonaro and Manatuto.
The role will focus primarily on the following areas:
I. Supporting the International and National Engineers on the engineering control technical support during implementation of project “Accelerating Clean Energy to Reduce Inequality (ACCESS)” in its Municipalities
II. Provide technical support to the Municipal Administrations, civil servants, and other local authorities to develop the necessary skills to lead the local development process focuses on access to clean energy in rural areas;
The main responsibilities of the Municipal Technicians are as follows:
- Assist the International and National Engineers in the construction works as per the contractual provisions and design specifications, and in accordance with established procedures including gender-sensitive approaches and climate proofing standard;
- Facilitate the International and National Engineers in the verification of works consistently with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations;
- Facilitate the International and National Engineers in the overall management of implementation to ensure construction works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards including taking timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided;
- Assist the International and National Engineers in preparing data for periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meetings minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bill review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports;
- Facilitate project collection of documents and daily pictures and collating these in digital formats for the contract records and duly maintain an electronic library of photos of the progress of the works;
- Facilitate the collection of all documentations for the payment requests for each statement (interim / final)
- Assist and facilitate in the monitoring of the workplans and inform the International and National Engineers for any deviation;
- Maintain a filing system for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and materials on site, reports and other documents and correspondence pertaining to the construction activities;
- Assist in the preparation of the completion/handover event and technical site visit,
- Inform the International and National Engineers of any problem which may arise with the Contractor;
- Attend weekly and monthly site/office meetings and take minutes of meetings to be given to the International and National Engineers
Impact of Results
The Municipal Technicians will implement day to day project management in their appointed Municipalities including operationalization of annual work plans to ensure project results and targets are achieved. Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated, and documented in all activities throughout the assignment
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
- Makes research of contacts in the media, government, private sector, donors, other agencies, civil society in other stakeholders for UNDP’s advocacy efforts
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Tracks bottlenecks, problems and issues, and proposes solutions
- Responds positively to new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a network of contacts in the media and civil society, for use in UNDP’s advocacy efforts
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- High school graduate or University Degree (as an advantage not requirement) in Public Administration/Local Development, Management, Project Management, and other relevant majors
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience (minimum 5 years of experience for High Scholl graduate) in area of local development, community engagement and civil society development and 2 years for university degree (as advantage).
- Experience in rural community project implementation in water and/or renewable energy work would be advantageous
- Previous experience as field staff with local/international NGOs in municipality implementing rural community project is advantage.
- Experiences in coordinating with local authority such as head of sucos, post administrative, municipality office and municipal line service is advantage.
- Previous experience as volunteers and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship would be highly regarded
- English, Portuguese, Tetum, and Bahasa Indonesia. The knowledge of the local dialect language(s) is highly valued.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.