Associate Project Officer for Education
Post Number : ED/PA 164
Grade : P-2
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris, France
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and External Candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 25-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Section of Education for Migration, Displacement and Emergencies (EME) is responsible for coordinating education in emergencies, including education for vulnerable migrants and refugees, as well as the protection of education from attack initiatives for the Organization. This work is now awarded increased importance within the new priority setting for the Education Sector. In alignment with the Global Compact on Refugees and the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration, the Organization will scale up its support to Member States to enhance the quality and inclusiveness of national education systems and to optimize education opportunities. Given the scope of this new focus, the Section requires additional human resources in order to respond to the increase in overall workload in general and ensure the proper functioning in the sub-areas of focus.
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), guidance from the Director of the Division for Education 2030, and direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator of the Section of Education for Migration, Displacement and Emergencies, the incumbent will support the coordination of efforts related to striving for improved policies, plans and learning opportunities for inclusion in education of crisis affected populations. Specifically, the incumbent shall:Long Description
- Contribute to the development of a toolkit and guidance note for UNESCO Member States on how to best include crisis affected people on the move into national education systems, drawing on the agile working group initiatives of the last biennium including.
- Conduct a mapping of relevant existing tools and resources.
- Review the existing tools and resources and identify gaps.
- Consolidate findings to prepare a strategic framework for guiding Member States.
- Support the coordination of the full-scale pilot implementation of the UNESCO Qualifications Passport for Refugees and Vulnerable Migrants (UQP) in UNESCO LAC region.
- Contribute to the organisation of relevant events, meeting and conferences on issues relating to higher education in emergencies and inclusion of people on the move in national education systems.
- Assist the focal point of the UQP initiative in liaising with UNESCO experts and key partners.
- Contribute to the coordination and implementation of activities related to higher education in emergencies.
- Support in the drafting of reports, proposals for projects and working papers when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in education, international relations, economics, social science or related fields.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant professional experience in the field of education in emergencies and/or higher education in emergencies.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in using an agile project management method based on continuous feedback and iterations.
Skills and competencies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Good knowledge of Education in Emergencies and protracted crises, including for higher education and the international agenda for inclusion.
- Excellent project implementation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the Organization.
- Proven ability to draft clearly and concisely.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Well established understanding of higher education system and qualifications recognition.
- Familiarity with procurement processes and budgetary management.
- Excellent IT skills, including with Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other language
- Relevant experience with UNESCO and/or within the UN system.
- Experience in resource mobilization and partnership development.
- Good knowledge of Spanish.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.