Phytosanitary Technical Specialist
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) is an international agreement on plant health with over 184 contracting parties, which aims to protect the world's cultivated and wild plants by preventing the introduction and spread of plant pests. The IPPC is governed by the Commission on Phytosanitary Measures (CPM). The IPPC Secretariat is hosted by FAO and supports the implementation of policies and activities of the CPM and carrying out such other functions as may be assigned and One of the main functions of the Secretariat is to facilitate the implementation of the Convention as well as the development and implementation of International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPMs) to fulfil the IPPC's mandates. The IPPC Secretariat currently has the ability to function fully in a virtual work environment, and staff may be required to work from their homes
The International Phytosanitary Consultant reports to the Implementation and Facilitation Unit Team Lead or Deputy Lead.
The Organization frequently engages experts to work on short-term projects as consultants (COF.REG.) or under a Personal Services Agreement (PSAs). The functions of the consultants and PSAs are results-oriented and normally involve analyzing complex issues.
• Support the IPPC Secretariat in delivering its work programme to strengthen IPPC contracting parties’ national capacities and capability to implement the provisions of the IPPC, ISPMS and CPM Recommendations.
• Provide technical assistance in phytosanitary matters, contribute to developing technical resources to support the implementation of the Convention, ISPMS and CPM Recommendations, conduct technical seminars or training courses and prepare relevant reports and develop well written documents that are both clear and precise.
A COF.REG./PSA is engaged by the Organization to provide expertise, skills or knowledge for carrying out specific tasks or projects, which is short-term by nature. The assignment may involve full-time or part-time functions similar to those of staff members.
The duration of the assignment can vary from 1 month up to 11 months in a 12 month period. The possibility of extension is subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the Secretariat’s resources and needs.
The objective of the Call for Expression of interest for Consultants and PSAs is to attract talents with technical experience and knowledge related to Phytosanitary issues to populate the IPPC Specialists Roster. Experts who are registered in the Roster will be considered whenever relevant opportunities arise.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the IPPC Secretariat, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Prepare project and activity updates for donors and the IPPC Secretariat.
- Lead the preparation and organization of global or regional phytosanitary training and meeting activities as required.
- Lead the development of communication materials based on the needs of the project.
- Provide technical support and technical inputs to related key Implementation and Capacity Development activities and projects under the oversight of the Secretariat.
- Develop well written documents that are both clear and precise that are targeted to the relevant stakeholder.
- Undertake other related professional duties as required and assigned by the supervisor.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Agriculture or Environmental Science with a specialization in Crop Science, Agronomy, Plant Science, Disease and pest control or a related field (for Consultants) / University degree in the above quoted fields (only for PSA).
- Five years of relevant experience in plant protection.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) for Consultants. In the case of PSA.SBS the requirement is the working knowledge of English.
- Fluency in Chinese language will be considered a desirable asset.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work
- Extent and relevance of experience in plant protection
- Extent and relevance of experience in writing technical and promotional documents
- Extent and relevant of experience in drafting studies and report including in-depth analysis
- Extent and relevant of experience in working with digital and virtual tools.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency