Spice Kitchen Incubator Business Operations Intern
Salt Lake City (United States of America)
Spice Kitchen Incubator is a culinary incubator program of the International Rescue Committee in Salt Lake City that assists new Americans and low-to-moderate income individuals plan, launch, and sustain their own food businesses through affordable technical assistance, subsidized commercial kitchen rental, and access to market opportunities
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK: This intern will assist in providing existing businesses with guidance in business operations, such as preparing business registration renewals, property and income tax form preparation, applying for appropriate insurance, and scheduling health inspections. This position will also include maintaining a calendar for all license/permit renewals as well as guides to teach entrepreneurs the above operational processes. This intern may also work closely with the Food Business Scale-Up AmeriCorps VISTA on expanding opportunities to food truck entrepreneurs and packaged food vendors, ultimately creating more opportunities for entrepreneurs to grow their businesses and better provide for themselves and their families.
COMMITMENT: 4-6 months starting in January 2021, 15-20 hours per week
1. Assist with scheduling and completing business registration renewals, various tax forms, insurance policy applications, and special event applications with entrepreneurs
2. Create culturally and linguistically appropriate guides to facilitate teaching entrepreneurs these processes, including regular due dates and estimated costs associated with different permits, licenses, and applications
3. Create and implement a scheduling system for staff and entrepreneurs to see upcoming renewal deadlines and due dates
4. Research potential vending locations for food trucks and packaged food vendors, record information in useful and intuitive database, conduct outreach and build relationships between Spice Kitchen and these organizations as needed.
a. In particular, may develop relationships with organizations interested in piloting new products and vendors. Coordinating the business at these locations will be incorporated as part of Spice Kitchen’s overall onboarding and planning process for new food trucks and packaged food producers in the program.
5. Work with Spice staff to complete additional business and kitchen operational tasks as needed
1. The intern will gain professional experience in business management and operations, community outreach, and resource development.
2. The intern will gain experience and deepen understanding of working and communicating with diverse populations including English language learners and refugees.
3. The intern will learn various methods and technology used to track, report, and disseminate business-related data and information