Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Specialist
Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) Specialist
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
USAID’s ProtectHealth project, led by Palladium and in collaboration with other USAID implementing partners, is supporting the Government of the Philippines (GPH) to enhance access and financing to meet key family planning (FP), tuberculosis (TB) and HIV/AIDS outcomes while realizing its goal of achieving universal health care (UHC). USAID’s ProtectHealth is specifically supporting the GPH’s implementation of the UHC Law by addressing policy and institutional bottlenecks within the health financing system.
The project provides technical assistance (TA) to enable the GPH to rapidly and effectively enact reforms envisioned under the new legislation on UHC. Specifically, USAID’s ProtectHealth enables the imp lementation of key reforms to the sustainable financing of TB, FP and HIV services, as well as improves the of the utilization of such benefits and increases financial protection by providing the best available evidence and convening decision-makers at critical points in the policy process.
In addition to TA for the development of national financing policies in support of UHC implementation, USAID’s ProtectHealth will also provide support to various US Government (USG)-assisted sites and other UHC Implementation Sites (UIS) in integrating local health systems (LHS) to improve the performance of health programs, especially TB, HIV and FP. For some sites, this support will be provided mainly through the UHC Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA) Network, where USAID’s ProtectHealth can share experiences in identifying and solving operational problems, monitoring and tracking performance, and documenting best practices. For specific sites, the project's support will focus on conducting implementation research (IR). These sites are for TB, Cebu City and Manila; and for FP, South Cotabato. Finally, the project will have more direct and substantive involvement initially in four sites that are Highly Urbanized Cities (HUCs), to generate lessons on various integration concerns, especially financial integration. USAID’s ProtectHealth will work closely with the Department of Health (DOH), PhilHealth (the national insurance provider), Local Government Units (LGUs), and other USAID Implementing Partners (IPs).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Health System Strengthening (HSS) Specialist is a mid-to-senior level role, which will assist the Technical Advisor for Health Financing and System Strengthening (HFSS) in planning, managing, and monitoring the implementation of USAID’s ProtectHealth’s support to various health systems strengthening activities, including supp orting USG-assisted and other UIS in attaining local health systems (LHS) integration, particularly financial integration.
The HSS Specialist’s duties and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
* Provide support to DOH in the development of various health systems strengthening policies, particularly those concerning financing reforms under the UHC Act.
* Provide support to DOH, USAID and selected areas in implementing local health systems (LHS) integration under UHC. The support can be provided in a manner that includes, but is not limited to, the drafting of technical notes and advisories recommending activities for USAID and DOH to deliver support to USG-assisted sites in implementing, and monitoring the progress of LHS integration, especially in sites where the project will have more direct and substantive involvement, in supporting efforts towards financial integration.
* Supervise junior staff assigned to support the implementation of USAID’s ProtectHealth’s assistance to LHS integration.
* Assist the Technical Advisor on Health Financing & Systems Strengthening (HFSS) in drafting various reports and documents, including but are not limited to concept notes, scopes of work and progress reports.
* Regularly update the Chief of Party through the Technical Advisor on HFSS on progress towards implementation of technical assistance to USG-assisted sites
* Assist the Technical Advisor for HFSS in coordinating activities with various project teams and other stakeholders such as the USAID CLA Network, among others.
* Perform any other technical and managerial tasks as may be directed by the Chief of Party through the Technical Advisor on HFSS.
* Advanced degree in economics, public administration, public health, medical degree, or related fields
* At least six years of relevant experience in health financing, health systems strengthening, or local governance for health in the Philippines
* Knowledge of the Philippines’ tuberculosis, HIV, or family planning programs; knowledge of financing and systems strengthening at the local level will be an advantage
* Demonstrated proficiency in client management and coordination with multiple government stakeholders and ability to engage in a sensitive and politically astute manner
* Effective communication skills, excellent writing skills, and demonstrated ability to produce high quality reports and deliverables in a timely manner
* Strong organizational skills to ensure activities, timelines, and progress occur on schedule
This role is a local position and Filipino nationals are strongly encourage to apply. Eligible candidates meeting the required qualifications and experience should send a detailed cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to: email@example.com. The email must specify the position applied for in the subject/title. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.