Procurement Specialist - Infrastructure
Philipsburg (United States of America)
Background Information - Job-specific
The objective of the project is to strengthen Sint Maarten’s national capacities by identifying and planning for infrastructure improvements for the correctional infrastructure required to meet the local and international standards that apply to Sint Maarten, enabling adequate, safe and humane detention, which guarantees the protection of human rights and facilitates the prospects for the reintegration of offenders back into society of Sint Maarten.
a. In infrastructure projects, ensure the implementation of acquisition strategies, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Full compliance of procurement activities with current UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies for the elaboration of an effective and adequate internal control design and the operation of a customer-oriented procurement system.
b. Support in planning and procurement systems for infrastructure projects, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Collaborate with Project Team in preparing procurement plans, setting deadlines, and monitoring their implementation;
- Prepare with the Project team the stage plans for each acquisition process required in the project;
c. Support procurement processes and implementation strategies of the project, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Define with the requesting entities the best way to supply goods, works and services, including the contracting terms for each stage;
- Review requests for integration and adaptation of technical specifications;
d. Support in bidding and awarding processes of the project, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Preparation of exemptions to competitive bidding processes, ensuring that the justification and complete and adequate documentation are provided for review and approval by the corresponding Procurement Committee;
- Preparation of short lists of suitable contractors / suppliers for the approval of the designated official;
e. Provide efficient support to contract administration, focusing on achieving the following result:
- Preparation of contracts, amendments, and necessary modifications that guarantee compliance with UNOPS manuals, requesting their review by the competent unit;
- Monitoring the signing of contracts or purchase orders of contractors;
- Prepare reports related to pre-investment studies, technical files, terms of reference, technical opinions and others related to the execution of the project, considering international standards and UNOPS regulations;
- Prepare and / or review the studies, study and works liquidations, progress and valuation reports, among other products related to the reception of products, the control and liquidation of infrastructure projects;
- Maintaining a database of contracting regulations and tools, the list of the best providers, contractors and service providers, activities and statistics, and dissemination of information;
- Commissioning / improvement and maintenance of a database of project suppliers;
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Procurement or related sciences is required.
Master’s Degree in Engineering, Procurement or related sciences will be considered an asset and may substitute some years of experience.
Professional certification and / or postgraduate studies in procurement is an asset.
Certification in procurement (example CIPS - The Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply Chain) is a valued asset.
Experience of seven (7) years (or 5 with a Master degree) in vertical infrastructure procurement processes, in the public sector and/or international organizations.
Experience in rule of law infrastructure is an asset.
Experience in FIDIC contracts is an asset.
Experience in development and / or supervision of infrastructure projects is an asset.
Fluency in English is required.
Fluency in Spanish is an asset.
Knowledge of Dutch / Papiamento is an asset
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA2
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – 10 months, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
This contract is established in the Regular Monthly Contract modality; is a continuous service provision required during the contract period; the payments associated with the contract will be processed at the end of each calendar month.
One position available for Sint Maarten(Family Duty Station)
Work life harmonization: UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options.
UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time. 18:00 hours Sint Maarten
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.