Job Roster : Expert for Data Sciences on the Resource Nexus
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe.
United Nations University for Integrated Management of Material Fluxes and of Resources (UNU-FLORES)
UNU-FLORES develops strategies to resolve pressing issues in the sustainable use and integrated management of environmental resources such as water, soil, waste, energy, and other geo-resources that are of concern to the United Nations and its Member States – particularly in developing and emerging economies. Based in Dresden, Germany, the Institute engages in research, capacity development, postgraduate teaching, advanced training, and knowledge dissemination to advance the Resource Nexus. For more details, please visit our website https://flores.unu.edu/
Consultancies at UNU-FLORES
UNU-FLORES invites highly motivated and committed local and international experts with relevant experience in data science, who are available for short-term assignments/projects, and who wish to support the research and training development of the Institute, to apply to our Consultants Roster.
Experts applying to the Consultants Roster are available for consideration whenever relevant opportunities arise. They can be available rapidly and go through an expedited contractual process. Experts joining the Consultants Roster are also invited to actively apply to other vacancy announcements posted on our website. The following indicates a generic description of tasks and responsibilities. UNU-FLORES may select candidates from the roster once there is a suitable opportunity in the future and a more specific job description will then be shared.
UNU-FLORES is seeking an expert and experienced Data Scientists to collaborate with the Institute and contribute effectively to the development and implementation of a research programme with a particular focus on data science within the field of integrated resource management. The ideal candidate will work in close collaboration with the academic team analysing complex data, and developing insights through the use of mathematical modelling, predictive modelling, data mining, and data visualisation techniques to create innovative approaches to answer pertinent research questions. The selected candidates will need to communicate regularly with the academic team of UNU-FLORES and critical stakeholders, and prepare any required presentations and reports, as well as write research papers for publications in peer-reviewed journals and present at scientific conferences.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A PhD related to the integrated management of environmental resources, Data Sciences or a related field;
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressive, and relevant work experience including managing research programmes in academia, research, or related institutions;
- Excellent statistical reasoning and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated programming skills;
- Proficiency in English both in oral and written communications, knowledge of German would be highly beneficial;
- Excellent writing skills with proven success publishing in peer-reviewed journals;
- Highly self-motivated, innovative, and organised, yet detail-oriented, with a professional and conscientious attitude and the ability to independently prioritise;
- Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organisation.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Individual consultants will be evaluated according to the following
- All applicants shall be screened against the minimum requirements for inclusion on a long list.
- Long-listed applicants shall be evaluated and interviewed.
- Successful candidates will be included on the UNU-FLORES Expert roster for a period of two years.
- Inclusion on the roster does not guarantee a contract with UNU-FLORES.
- When the need for services arises, the Human Resources Unit will contact the applicant(s) matching the role to discuss their availability and Terms of References. If agreed, the selected person shall receive a contract for the work assignment.
Duration of Contract
The successful candidate will be employed under a consultant contract (CTC) based in Dresden, Germany and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
The Conditions of Service for Consultants shall apply (see Annex II to the UNU Personnel Policy available on the UNU website). The services of a consultant are limited to twenty-four months of accrued service in a period of thirty-six months.
Remuneration will be commensurate with the qualification and experience of the successful candidate. Employment on a CTC contract of former UNU staff members who are in receipt of a pension from the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund is subject to restrictions, pursuant to applicable administrative issuances of the United Nations.
UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of the contractor.
UNU-FLORES is not responsible for any health insurance arrangements. The contract carries no entitlement to annual leave nor sick leave.
As soon as a position becomes available
Interested applicants should submit their application and all required documents listed below online through Impactpool:
- A curriculum vitae
- Cover letter detailing how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position and the specific contributions you can make to the UNU. Please include the vacancy announcement reference number: 2020/UNU/FLORES/CTC/EDS/83
- Digital copies of your degree certificates(s)/diploma(s)
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. As part of the recruitment, process candidates may be asked to complete written tests and demonstrate language skills.