Emergency Project Assistant (National position)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
Danish Refugee Council is currently looking for a highly qualified Emergency Project Assistant for it's Area office in Mariupol.
Overall purpose of the role:
The objective of the project, and thus the purpose of the Project Assistant position, will be to contribute to meeting immediate WASH needs of the conflict-affected population in the East of Ukraine (NGCA) helping to prevent the spread of Covid-19 and other diseases through the implementation of NFI distribution activities adapted to the context, the area and the populations targeted. DRC-DDG will partner with a local implementing partner on identifying vulnerable elderly and disabled beneficiaries in currently underserved areas to provide them with hygiene kits, medical masks and hygiene and Covid-19 prevention messages. The project will distribute approximately 1,500 hygiene NFI kits in NGCA settlements. Due to the current lack of direct access and risks involved with distributions under such circumstances, this is considered a complex and specialized project. The position will support the Emergency Project Coordinator in project implementation, namely in logistics, procurement and coordination with partner in NGCA, as well as willingness and ability to travel to NGCA if DRC gains access.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Overall role: The primary function of this position is to provide day-to-day support to Project Coordinator in the whole cycle of project implementation with a special focus on procurement and logistics under close supervision of Supply Chain Coordinator, on finance under close supervision of Area Finance and Administration Manager (AFAM), as well as liaison with other DRC-DDG units.
- Procurement and Logistics: Project Assistant will be working in close collaboration with Supply Chain Coordinator (SCC) and Implementing partner (IP) on procurement and logistics under this project. She/he should support SCC by ensuring all procurement procedures are in compliance with DRC’s and donors’ rules and regulations, including but not limited to supporting market survey, drafting ITB procedures, warehousing and, cooperate with UNHCR for obtaining permissions and arranging a convoy
- Finance and Accountancy: Ensuring compliance with Ukrainian accounting codes in procurement and distribution of goods, support AFAM in a daily tasks related to this project in addition of playing the role of mediator between implementing partner and DRC-DDG.
- Coordination with Implementing Partner: The primary function of this position is to support all aspects of the implementing partners’ distribution of Non-Food Item kits in NGCA. This includes supporting the partner as well as DRC-DDG with drafting and following detailed Work Plans, Spending/Procurement plans, staffing/HR plans, logistics and cargo transport plans, verification of supporting document as required, developing and advising on selection criteria and selection processes etc.
- Reporting: Support Project Coordinator in timely submission of Indicator Performance Tracking, 5Ws, case stories, training reports, etc.
- Ability and willingness to travel to NGCA for monitoring and coaching activities, situation permitting.
- Any other relevant tasks as required as they pertain to the implementation of this project.
Required experience and competencies:
- University degree (masters or specialist’s degree) in Project Management, Business Administration or other related field.
- Minimum 2 years of experience implementing humanitarian response projects. Experience in the context of implementing programmes in the Non-Government Controlled Areas of Ukraine considered as an asset. Extensive knowledge of the NGCA context is essential to the success of this position.
- Necessary experience with beneficiary selection, verification, distribution, accounting and reporting for food or non-food items. Experience with setting up such systems a distinct advantage.
- WASH: Experience with the procurement and distributing of hygiene and sanitation supplies is a distinct advantage.
- Experience in remote management and remote monitoring is a distinct advantage.
- Candidate should be conversant in the Humanitarian Principals. A Certificate from CHS, Sphere, RedR, NGOForum or similar would be an advantage.
- Advanced spoken and written English would be a distinct advantage.
- Russian and Ukrainian fluency is mandatory.
Contract length: 5 months
Level: I2 non-management
Start date: December, 2020 pending availability of funding
The application is open for Ukraine citizens only. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National Staff.
Application process All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: November 29, 2020.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
• Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
• Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
• Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
• Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/about-us/job-and-career/support-for-job-seekers.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.