UA Programme Analyst
The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides support to Member States’ efforts and priorities in meeting their gender equality goals and for building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.In line with UN Women Global Strategic Plan (2018-2021), and its Country Strategic Note (2019-2022), in Turkey UN Women works towards three overarching goals:
1) Women lead, participate in, and benefit equally from governance systems.2) All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence3) Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian action.
Towards these goals, UN Women implements programmes and projects that aim to advance gender equality, improve women’s access to opportunities, rights and services in political, social and economic life and combat gender stereotypes, discrimination and violence, as required by international and national legal and policy commitments. UN Women collaborates with numerous partners – central and local level government authorities, civil society organizations, including women’s organizations and platforms, academia, private sector companies, other UN agencies. It commits itself to the Leaving No One Behind principle, by supporting targeted actions to remove the obstacles that marginalized and vulnerable groups of women face in accessing their rights and to promote them as agents of change.
The Unstereotype Alliance is a thought and action platform convened by UN Women, that uses advertising as a force for good to drive positive change. It seeks to eradicate harmful gender-based stereotypes. The alliance is focused on empowering women in all their diversity (race, class, age, ability, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, language, education, etc.) and addressing harmful masculinities to help create a gender equal world. The Alliance brings together a powerful global coalition of industry leaders behind the common goal of eliminating gender bias and harmful gender stereotypes from their advertising.
Recognizing the power of partnerships to accelerate progress, this industry-led initiative convened by UN Women unites leaders across business, technology and creative industries to tackle the widespread prevalence of stereotypes that are often perpetuated through advertising and content. UN Women Turkey has supported the Unstereotype Alliance in initiating its Turkey Chapter with participation of the Turkish advertising industry and companies.
The Unstereotype Alliance Turkey Chapter has been launched in December 2019 as an action coalition of gender equality champion advertisers, brands and companies. Convened by UN Women Turkey Country Office, the platform is under the leadership of Reklamverenler Dernegi (Advertisers Association). This is the second national chapter in the world.
Reporting to the Programme Management Specialist in UN Women Turkey office, UA Programme Analyst is responsible for supporting the planning, coordination and implementation of the Unstereotype Alliance Turkey Chapter to increase the standing and awareness of transforming gender-based stereotypes in media and advertising content.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Coordinate the development and management of the UA Programme in Turkey:
- Act as the focal point for the promotion of Unstereotype Alliance initiative in Turkey;
- Develop a work plan of activities including list of stakeholders/ potential companies or organizations with interest in promoting gender equality and removing unstereotype branding in advertisements/campaigns;
- Coordinate the implementation of the various activities of the Turkey National Chapter
- Manage effective member communications through meaningful knowledge exchange and support members/companies to keep a track of regular progress and follow up on agreed work plans, contributions and activities;
- Support the governance of the Alliance by organising regular Board meetings, briefing sessions, member selection processes, review and evaluation meetings and other meetings as required;
- Provide technical advice and guidance to on building and managing partnerships and member interest;
- Conduct due diligence assessments before admitting new members into the alliance;
2. Coordinate advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Develop, promote and disseminate advocacy materials for UA;
- Coordinate UA Turkey’s website content on a regular basis, by providing news, updates, resources;
- Coordinate the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Provide support to the private sector and gender equality related work of the Office as required;
- Coordinate the development of advocacy and awareness raising campaigns and knowledge products;
- Acts as a liaison between local ally, members of the alliance, other country networks and UN Women HQ and ensure regular reporting to HQ;
3. Provide technical support and capacity development support to partners
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and coordinate and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners as needed.
- Independently plans and coordinates, on a day to day basis, potential activities with programme partners and other UN Women programme units (women’s economic empowerment, violence against women, governance). Also leads the activities/events in promotion and participation in Unstereotype Alliance with private sector.
- Support the development of the content of the sectoral awareness raising activities, workshops and employee engagement events
- Support the development of innovative and creative knowledge building and knowledge sharing activities for the members of the chapter
- Attend and participate in monthly Learning Cafes with fellow UN Women National Chapters, and monthly All-Member Calls with global membership.
- Liaises closely with Unstereotype Alliance National Chapter network to share knowledge products, case studies, and best practices.
4. Establish partnerships and support in resource mobilization strategies
- Network with relevant stakeholders such as industry federations, entrepreneurs, creative agencies, networks, private sector companies, government and civil society organisations to identify areas of collaboration;
- Represent Unstereotype Alliance Turkey in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to gender equality in media and advertising content;
5. Oversee the planning, monitoring and reporting of the programme:
- Submit monthly narrative and statistical progress report of the activities under the Unstereotype Alliance;
- Develop an online database of participating Turkey National Chapter Members & Allies, and share with Unstereotype Alliance Secretariat at HQ with regular updates;
- Liaises with UN Women operations team member on a day to day basis for administrative support in management of finances, procurement and travel arrangements;
- Works with Unstereotype Alliance Secretariat at UN Women Headquarters to keep a track of regular progress, follow up on agreed work plans, contributions and activities.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality results;
- Partners and other stakeholder provide positive feedback on advisory services;
- Quality reports and timely submission;
- Quality monitoring and reporting;
- Increased awareness of UN Women’s work and impact;
- Quality knowledge products;
- Resources mobilized for the Unstereotype Alliance and for UN Women;
- Increased cooperation and communication between UA and other parts of UN Women;
- Timely and quality advice and support to other UN Women offices
- Strong relations with partners and stakeholders
- Regular and timely monitoring of activities
- Enhanced best practices and lessons learned documented and circulated
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies - https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Analytical and academic research skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong experience managing stakeholders
- Ability to think logically and work with great attention to detail
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Experience with communications and office software suites (Powerpoint, Word, Excel, Google Forms, Sharepoint – Canva or Photoshop are useful)
- Knowledge of UN programme management systems
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues
Required Skills and Experience
|Education and certification:|| |
|Language Requirements:|| |
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online within deadline 30 November 2020.
Applications should contain:
- Cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the online application.
- Completed and signed UN Personal History Form - http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment
Please make sure you have provided all requested documents.
How to Submit the Application:
To submit your application online, please follow the following steps:
- Download and complete UN Personal History Form (P11);
- Merge your CV, your UN Personal History Form (P11) and cover letter into a single file. The system does not allow for more than one attachment to be uploaded;
- Click on the Job Title (job vacancy announcement);
- Click “Apply Now” button, fill in necessary information on the first page, and then click “Submit Application;”
- Upload your application/single file as indicated above with the merged documents
- You will receive an automatic response to your email confirming receipt of your application by the system.
- As this position is under Service Contract modality, only applications of applicants with Turkish nationality will be considered for the vacancy.