Partnership Development Specialist (UN System-New York)
New York City (United States of America)
UNDP/UNV is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP/UNV does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UNV New York Office (NYO) ensures key account management services for all UN partners globally, and manages all other US-based partner relations, with a focus upon Permanent Missions to the United Nations in New York. The NYO contributes to UN Volunteer mobilization by developing and promoting volunteer solutions within UN partner operations, projects and programmes, through a key account management approach and coordinating closely with UNV HQ, Regional Offices and Field Units. Furthermore, the NYO ensures the strategic positioning of volunteers and volunteerism for peace and development within relevant intergovernmental processes. Finally, the NYO supports UNV’s governance relations, liaising with the UNV Executive Board and UNDP headquarters.
Reporting to the Chief New York Office, the Partnership Development Specialist (UN System – New York) is responsible for engaging with and managing a selection of New York-based UN partners and strengthening advocacy efforts for volunteerism integration. She/he represents UNV, as per specific delegation, in relevant events and prepares substantive material to uphold UNV’s mandate and global agenda working in close coordination and synergy within the NYO.
Duties and Responsibilities
Key account management with UN partners in New York (agencies, funds and programmes)
- Raise awareness of volunteerism for peace and development with relevant UN partners in New York through advocacy, close collaboration and sustained partnership and networking;
- Identify and assess potential for integration of volunteerism into development planning and increased mobilization of UN Volunteers and advocacy for volunteerism for development, through thorough understanding of the mandate, priorities and operations of the relevant UN partners and the overall UN System;
- Strengthen relations with relevant UN partners through active communications and dialogue to increase the mobilization of UN Volunteers;
- In coordination with the UN partners, develop engagement plans, and when appropriate, integrating UNV/volunteerism in UN partners global strategic /operational documents, such as strategic plans, programme documents. HR strategies, etc.;
- Draft partnerships agreements with relevant UN partners; contribute to carrying out annual assessment of the partnerships and establish repository of partnerships documentation;
- Provide support to assessing the partnerships through feedback from regular dialogue with the relevant UN partners, Regional Offices and Field Units;
- Manage one central UNV space for all intelligence and information related to UN partners, as well as an online community of practice for main UN clients, including cross-organizational helpdesk to provide advice to UNV organizational units on UN partners.
Strategic planning and mobilization of UN Volunteers
- Stay abreast of challenges and priorities in the development global agenda to identify relevant entry points for UNV programming and mobilization of volunteers;
- Keep abreast on United Nations changes and reforms’ dialogues and provide input to the UNV discussions from UN partnerships perspective;
- Analyze potential demand / needs from UN partner through specific research, and engagement to support Regional Offices/Field Units’ mobilization efforts;
- Promote UN Volunteer solutions, including service line rollout support, joint HQ messages to the field on the strategic value of UN Volunteers, annual joint global webinars with programme, HR teams, etc.;
- Provide advisory support on UN development related operations to Regional Offices and Field Units;
- Produce general UN client intelligence (global) mapping and other intelligence resources to support colleagues at all levels interacting with UN entities;
- In coordination with relevant headquarters and field organizational units, provide technical advice and guidance in the development of programmes and projects and engage in the monitoring of programmes implementation.
Advocacy and positioning of volunteers and volunteerism with key events
- Identify and recommend opportunities for UNV in conferences, workshops, taskforces and other key UN events, as requested, to give presentations, advocate and promote UNV for expanding partnerships and alliances;
- Conduct research on target audiences. Prepare presentation materials and other relevant documentation;
- Ensure effective advocacy, promotion and networking to raise awareness of UNV and comparative strengths in contributing to peace and development;
- Prepare Executive Office missions to UN partners, including agenda, briefing notes, mission reports, coordination of follow up, etc.;
- Develop and disseminate knowledge products that document UNV’s experiences and lessons learned regarding UNV’s partnerships with relevant UN partners;
- Organize briefings on volunteerism and partnerships with relevant UN partners;
- Engage the former UN Volunteer network for partnership building with relevant UN partners;
- Maintain an up-to-date monthly calendar of key events and activities as a corporate planning reference.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Knowledge of sustainable development concepts, principles and issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, covering the economic, social and environmental dimensions
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, Inter-Agency Coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in social sciences, political science, public or business administration, economics or related fields.
- 5 years of relevant experience in partnerships management within an international organization;
- Previous field experience in humanitarian, relief or development work in a developing country context would be a major asset.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP/UNV reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP/UNV at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.