Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
This vacancy announcement is for two positions in the following offices/divisions at FAO Headquarters:
- One position in the Forestry Division (NFO), that leads FAO's work in promoting sustainable forest management and providing leadership on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of forestry, including its contributions to poverty reduction and food security and nutrition
- One position in the Plant Production and Protection Division (NSP), that promotes the transition to sustainable crop production systems. It promotes an integrated approach for crop production policies and practices within the framework of sustainable food and agriculture and its underlying principles: increasing productivity and resource use efficiency, conservation and management of natural resources, enhancing resilience to climate change and improvement of livelihoods and governance.
The Office Assistant performs a large variety of routine administrative transactions and office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of the work unit.
The Office Assistant reports to one or more Professional staff and receives guidance from a higher graded Office Assistant/ Executive Associate. He/she acts independently in routine matters. Supervision received is focused on the quality of the work performed and provides for on-the-job learning.
The Office Assistant usually interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine administrative and office support services.
- Arrange appointments for the supervisor, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and respond to routine requests for information;
- Provide office, administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences, etc.;
- Review, record, distribute and process incoming mail and correspondence; follow-up on pending actions;
- Respond or draft responses to standard/ routine correspondence and other communications; use word processing package to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports;
- Proofread documents and format texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards;
- Initiate general administrative tasks in the computerized financial / travel / human resources systems;
- Make travel and hotel arrangements and prepare travel authorizations/claims for staff as required;
- Provide assistance in the administrative processing of vacancy announcements and consultants' contracts;
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports; create spreadsheets and presentations; manage and update databases for mailing lists and other information; and maintain electronic and paper files;
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of office support services and on the overall output of the work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary School Education
Experience: Three years of relevant experience in office support work
Languages: Working knowledge (Level C) of English and limited knowledge (Level B) of one of the other FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
IT Skills: Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of communication and documentation standards
- Good knowledge of corporate computerized financial / travel / human resources systems and administrative procedures and policies
- Good knowledge of the organizational structure
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- For position 0121975 in NFO: Good knowledge of Excel; Working knowledge (level C) of French or Spanish; Experience in handling confidential matters; Experience in monitoring and reporting on various human resources/administrative matters; Experience in regular liaison with different clients.
- For position 0078220 in NSP: Basic understanding of the project lifecycle and associated procedures; Knowledge/experience of organizational procedures e.g. Letters of Agreement; Knowledge/experience on uploading material to websites (including the use of ADESTRA)
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency