Senior Malaria Control & Elimination Tech. Advisor, Cambodia
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Job Title: Senior Malaria Control and Elimination Technical Advisor, Cambodia Malaria Elimination Project 2
Reports to: COP
Department: Cambodia (Location: Phnom Penh)
Salary Grade: 10
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) was founded in 1943 by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops to assist the poor and disadvantaged. CRS returned to Cambodia in 1991 and currently works in the sectors of Hea lth (HIV, malaria, TB and health systems strengthening) and Education, with approximately 15 Partners. CRS head office is located in Phnom Penh. CRS Cambodia is the hub office for Southeast Asia programming, including Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam.
Funded through the US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), the Cambodia Malaria Elimination Project 2 (CMEP 2) will build on previous experience, and strengthen local capacity in malaria prevention, diagnosis, and management, as well as surveillance and reporting, in order to reach elimination targets in Cambodia by 2025. The activity is expected to commence in six provinces: three provinces (Pailin, Batambang, and Pursat) where the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) is currently supporting implementation of malaria elimination activities and three provinces (Kep, Kampot, and Koh Kong) where PMI is providing technical assistance to the Provincial Health Departments (PHD) to conduct these activities on their own.
The activity will support malaria control and elimination priorities as defined by the Cambodian National Center for Parasitology, Entomology and Malaria Control (CNM), especially among high-risk populations (e.g., forest workers and mobile and migrant populations [MMPs]), by implementing evidence-based interventions at the local, district, provincial, and national levels. Specifically, this activity will implement a proven public health model for malaria diagnosis and treatment; and will add a key component of prevention of reintroduction through real-time surveillance and rapid response to new malaria cases, and applying a tailored approach that responds to the varying epidemiological profiles for malaria transmission in PMI supported areas. Successful implementation of this model will be a major component of PMI’s response to assist CNM to achieve their goal of eliminating Plasmodium falciparu m malaria by 2023 and Plasmodium vivax malaria by 2025.
You will provide technical advice, guidance, and support to a wide range of program design and implementation issues for the CMEP 2 project in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to regional and Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your technical knowledge, advice and guidance will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ CMEP 2 programming is.
* Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, disease control or related discipline.
* At least seven years of experience performing as a technical lead in malaria programs, with at least five years of experience in malaria elimination in Cambodia or other countries with an elimination setting.
* Experience in maintaining relationships with a broad range of stakeholders such as host government counterparts, donors, implementing partners, and private sector entities.
* Minimum of five years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of three years working for programming interventions in public health.
* Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in malaria elimination. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
* Experience in project design in malaria elimination, including technical writing.
* Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
* Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation.
* Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
* Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
* Strong English language skills, especially good oral and written communication skills.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.