Associate Communications Officer
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Senior External Relations Officer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Implement the communication strategy to promote a better understanding of UNHCR’s objective and activities in the host country.
- Ensure appropriate multimedia coverage of events. This includes the production of quality videos, photographs and other related content for different channels including social media about UNHCR’s work and engagement with refugees.
- Plan and execute campaigns and events with organized groups and local authorities to disseminate information on UNHCR and raise public awareness on refugee issues;
- Draft and regularly update pamphlets, operational updates, briefing kits, web stories and other articles for publication in coordination with the Assistant Communications and Public Information Officer
- Design and oversee the production of communications materials; this includes providing support to other units in producing communications materials.
- Manage and ensure appropriate content is disseminated through UNHCR Ethiopia’s social media platforms (Twitter and Facebook), in accordance with UNHCR’s global social media strategy.
- Maintain close working relations with External Relations and Communications focal points in the field for content gathering and mission coordination.
- Support the unit in planning and preparing content for donor/partner meetings.
- Keep abreast of developments on UNHCR activities in the country and respond to donor and public queries for information on all aspects of the organization’s work.
- Arrange timely distribution of outputs and regularly update the list of donors and individuals who should receive timely information;
- Coordinate donor/external missions to the field.
- Attend the UN Communications Group and provide follow-up actions for joint communication endeavors. Work with UNICEF in particular on the communications aspects of the Joint UNHCR/UNICEF Blueprint.
- Coordinate and maintain relations with the local UNHCR High Profile Supporter (HPS) – Betty G – in coordination with the Assistant Communications and Public Information Officer and ensure content around her engagement with refugees and UNHCR is produced and published in a timely manner. In addition, ensure the HPS has access to the necessary UNHCR content for publication in her social media channels.
- Carry out other tasks as necessary.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or AdvertisingRequired experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the production of public information materials and multimedia production.
- Proficiency in image and video production; good knowledge of multimedia software (Photoshop, Indesign, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, MS Office Suite, etc.)
- Ability to present verbal and written information to different audience
- Demonstrated high-level writing skills (e.g. operational updates, briefing notes, press briefings and articles).
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Accountability, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 26 November 2020