Program Manager, HIV/TB Diagnostics and Treatment
Program Manager, HIV/TB Diagnostics and Treatment
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - Zimbabwe
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
The Program Manager, HIV/TB Diagnostics and Treatment will be a key member of the CHAI Zimbabwe Team and is expected to provide technical expertise, analytical and program planning and implementation rigor to CHAI Zimbabwe’s engagement in TB and HIV.
The Program Manager will lead two main programs:
1. HIV Access Programs (Diagnostics and Treatment):
They will promote coordination between the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC) and development partners, support resource mobilization, strengthen access to essential HIV testing services such as EID, CD4, chemistry and haematology, and VL testing; promote sustainable solutions for equipment service and maintenance challenges, develop supply chain management systems for diagnostics and treatment commodities. In addition, they will work to strengthen data management and reporting and expedited results reporting systems. Under this portfolio, they will have the opportunity to impact positively the broader HIV, TB, Cervical Cancer related diagnostics and treatment capacity in Zimbabwe to improve systems for patient care and monitoring. He/she will work to ensure systems for the management of Advanced HIV disease and associated HIV comorbidities are put in place and scaled up nationally.
2. Tuberculosis Access (Diagnostics and Treatment):
The program is focused on improving access to and uptake of key TB drugs and diagnostics, scaling up latent TB treatments, and improving case finding for drug susceptible and drug resistant TB. The Manager will coordinate with CHAI Zimbabwe and global team members to offer strategic planning and analytical support to the MoHCC; lead the provision of high-quality technical assistance to the MoHCC in the provision of quality TB diagnostic services and medicines. Additionally, they will lead business development efforts to increase the range of support CHAI is providing to the NTP and to ensure critical needs of the national response are sufficiently supported, both financially and technically.
The Program Manager will be a critical contributor to CHAI’s HIV and TB programs; they will provide analytical, strategic, and communication support to implement internal and external projects. The Manager will develop relationships and work collaboratively with various teams within CHAI. The position requires a highly motivated individual with outstanding clinical and technical grounding and a strong analytical and problem-solving record. The Program Manager is required to work with government officials and partners and must have excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills and a high degree of self-confidence. They must be able to function independently and have a strong commitment to excellence. They should also exhibit a number of important personal qualities: resourcefulness, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic. The position will require 25-50% travel to project sites across the country and will be based in Harare.
The Program Manager will report to the Senior Program Manager, HIV/TB Diagnostics and Treatment.
- Provide HIV and TB expertise and experience to the teams to ensure that the project activities are aligned to needs, in keeping with optimal clinical and management practices, and operational feasibility within the Zimbabwean health system;
- Develop and maintain up-to-date expertise in the field of HIV, TB and Cervical Cancer testing, treatment and monitoring, follow trends and best practices at the global level and advise the MoHCC on new ehealth/mhealth technologies, tests, products, product uptake ,procurement and supply chain that impact diagnosis care and treatment;
- Provide technical input on various HIV, TB and Cervical Cancer policies and reforms;
- Develop and disseminate technical guidelines and SOPs where appropriate;
- Develop proposals to build capacity of MoHCC and increase sustainability of the aforementioned activities, including budgeting and proposal writing;
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders in government, international partners, donors and NGOs, to ensure coordination of resources to facilitate consensus on process, policy and implementation of programs;
- Work with various MoHCC departments, the CHAI country and global teams to adapt and/or develop elaborate strategic and implementation plans to strengthen diagnostics and treatment services;
- Actively participate and drive innovation during Ministry of Health HIV, TB and Cervical Cancer technical working groups (TWG) and sub working groups meetings within the MoHCC;
- Provide technical support for effective and sustainable training programs, quality assurance and data management to support accelerated roll-out for new diagnostic technologies and treatment options;
- Provide technical expertise to the design, set up, and implementation of EQA program for diagnostic tests and monitor program performance and participation;
- Provide technical support and manage roll-out of expedited reporting systems for laboratory test results for centralized testing (TB, EID, CD4, VL, etc);
- Work with MoHCC and other partners to advance plans for a supply chain management system for commodities, including development of supply chain tools to support accelerated product roll-out for new diagnostics and treatments for HIV, TB and Cervical Cancer;
- Drive operational and policy changes to maximize impact of diagnostic testing including testing algorithms, clinic workflow, strategic deployment guidelines for selected POC diagnostic technologies and efficiency of treatment service delivery models;
- Support MoHCC in development and implementation of national plans for key interventions including strategic and operational planning and funding mechanisms for treatment optimization, sample and results transportation, and technology selection decisions, diagnostic and treatment algorithms;
- Work with MoHCC and partners to roll-out the bundled reagent and service and maintenance model for essential HIV and TB testing equipment/reagents, and develop/implement framework to monitor service provider compliance/ downtimes;
- Assist in operationalization of other trainings, review meetings, summits, and other activities by planning and budgeting, organizing logistics, liaising with MoHCC stakeholders, and working with the operations team to make any necessary arrangements;
- Provide technical advice to MoHCC on health systems strengthening related issues (e.g., sample transport, technology selection and optimized treatments);
- Support resource mobilization efforts and proposal writing on behalf of CHAI and the MoHCC;
- Design and implement monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems to measure the impact of key HIV, TB and Cervical Cancer interventions implemented by CHAI;
- Support CHAI senior management as a strategic partner for all CHAI related new initiatives across the different work streams and programs;
- Develop program budgets and cash forecasts, and ensure activities are executed according to work plan and approved budgets; and
- Compile progress reports and deliver presentations related to program activities
- Conduct other activities as required.
- Master’s Degree in a medical field, Public Health, Social Sciences or other relevant field;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in private or public sector enterprise;
- Experience conceiving, planning and executing programs or projects with verifiable results;
- Experience managing demanding work plans and tight budgets;
- Experience developing training materials and/or reports for broad consumption;
- Ability to navigate government processes with multiple influencers, and at negotiating and achieving consensus;
- Strong quantitative skills, ability to supervise and structure the development of analytical models involving large data sets;
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously whilst mentoring a team to perform consistently;
- Ability to work in high-pressure situations, set priorities and lead effectively;
- Ability to solve challenging problems without extensive structural or operational support;
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced and changing environments, both internally and externally;
- Excellent business-oriented verbal, visual , presentation and written communication skills.
- Experience in molecular diagnostics and/or with rapid diagnostics, clinical training, or pharmaceuticals;
- Programmatic or clinical experience related to HIV and TB diagnosis, treatment monitoring and management;
- Understanding of market dynamics for technology platforms, and treatments;
- Experience working on public health-related issues, especially TB and/or HIV, in resource-limited settings;
- Demonstrated growth in responsibility in current or previous roles;
- Experience working in a multicultural office environment;
- Knowledge of health financing, health systems strengthening, and/or global healthcare systems.