Manager, Global Markets
United States (United States of America)
Manager, Global Markets
- United States
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Global Markets Team
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit:http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
Background on the Global Markets Team:
CHAI’s Global Markets Team (GMT) is responsible for envisioning, executing, and monitoring market shaping interventions aimed at improving the efficiency of health commodity markets for lower income countries. These interventions range from traditional policy-led and grant-financed initiatives such as pooled procurement, strategic demand forecasting, and voluntary licensing to more innovative mechanisms such as volume guarantees (VGs), advance market commitments (AMCs), and R&D incentives.
GMT collaborates closely with internal and external stakeholders to assess the potential public health impact of proposed market-shaping interventions. GMT is also responsible for managing CHAI’s relationships with branded and generic life sciences companies and working with social finance organizations in cases where development capital is needed.
For an example of the types of agreements CHAI helps negotiate, please see this press release.
The Manager will play a lead role in evaluating and developing global health investment opportunities. Day-to-day responsibilities include: 1) working across CHAI to identify barriers to access for life-saving health commodities; 2) conducting supply and demand side analyses to inform the investment case; 3) working with internal and external stakeholders to build support for deal proposals; and 4) leading the overall deal development process from the initial concept note through to final negotiations.
For this position, we are seeking a highly motivated, entrepreneurial individual with outstanding problem-solving, analytical, and communication abilities. The Manager must be comfortable synthesizing large amounts of quantitative and qualitative information into cogent recommendations. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, humility, responsibility, tenacity, independence, energy, and work ethic.
- Work with CHAI global programs and country teams to evaluate the potential for various market shaping interventions using proprietary market shaping frameworks
- Produce high quality scoping memos and concept notes that succinctly describe the investment case for each market shaping opportunity
- Carry out deal development activities, including support for demand forecasting, COGS analysis, supplier engagement, and country-level due diligence
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to effectively mobilize and coordinate across complex project teams
- Develop analyses, reports, presentations and other communication materials to support discussions with suppliers, donors, and other external stakeholders
- Develop new resources to promote best-practice in market shaping and provide mentorship in deal development to CHAI program staff
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Master’s degree, or equivalent professional experience, and 5+ years work experience
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment
- Expert project management skills, including the ability to build momentum across complex project teams
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to prepare compelling presentations and reports
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and quantitative modeling skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities, and drive forward work independently
- Available for 30% international travel
- English language fluency, both written and verbal
- Experience in corporate finance, equity research, investment banking, or sales and trading
- Experience working on global health issues (e.g. HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, etc.)
- Experience working with government officials and multilateral organizations
- Experience working remotely with a decentralized team
- Experience in a leadership role, and comfortable with people management responsibilities