International Insect Ecologist/Environmental Entomologist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO Representative in Madagascar, to Comoros, Mauritius and Seychelles
The international consultant will work under the general supervision of the FAOR in Madagascar, to Comoros, Mauritius and Seychelles, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative, the technical guidance of the project Lead Technical Officer (LTO), and in close collaboration with the national project coordinators based at the National Biosecurity Agency (NBA) of Seychelles and FAO Madagascar.
Technical Focus :
Insect ecology as well as management of health and environmental aspects of the hairy caterpillar
Tasks and responsibilities
- Strengthen national plant protection organizations in control options against the invasive Euproctis caterpillar and develop a training program for the various activities to be implemented under the project;
- Prepare and facilitate a national inception and planning workshop to formulate an action plan of project activities;
- Assist local experts in a countrywide baseline survey to determine the scope of damage, host plant range, pest bio-ecology and its socio-economic impact.
- Clarify the taxonomic status of the invasive Euproctis caterpillar known in the Seychelles as “hairy caterpillar”
- Provide technical backstopping to compile a digital information database on the invasive Euproctis species;
- Provide the necessary technical advice to develop a sustainable Integrated Pest Management strategy to effectively suppress and control the pest which includes:
- Training of local experts in the field of pest identification and associated natural enemies;
- Summarize information on the biology and control of the pest from affected Island states and its area of origin to build-up on existing experience for the development of a best practice management package;
- Assist national experts and participate in experimental trials to test and evaluate the effectiveness of various control options; Provide technical assistance to initiate the implementation of best bet products at selected pilot sites;
- Perform any other duties related to this work that the FAO may asked him/her.
- Produce an end of contract report to Government and FAO
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- An Advanced degree in Agriculture, Biological or Environmental Sciences, Crop Science, Animal Science, Veterinary medicine, or related fields.
- Working knowledge of English
- At least 10 years practical and active experience working on integrated pest management. Work experience directly related to management of invasive pests will be an added advantage.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Strong administrative and organisational skills,
- Computer literacy
- Good English technical report writing skills.
- Ability to provide team leadership and motivation
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency