Legal Manager - Beirut
The Legal Manager is responsible for the provision of technical guidance and oversight of the legal services component of IRC’s protection programming across multiple locations. This includes leadership of internal and external legal capacity building activities, and the identification and analysis of legal trends and related protection concerns. She/He will also be in charge of ensuring coordination with the other streams of the IRC protection program to advance integration objectives. The Legal Manager undertakes coordination with other external legal stakeholders at the national level, as well as supporting local-level coordination with legal actors, as needed.
Major Responsibilities: Major responsibilities of the Legal Manager (not exhaustive) are listed below:
- Support on the roll-out of the IRC’s updated Legal Case Management system and provide ongoing supervision as the quality of Legal Case Management in line with Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs).
- Keep abreast of on the latest developments related to Lebanese law and policy which impacts upon refugees and other vulnerable population groups.
- Provide monthly written updates on developments in the legal context to inform protection monitoring reports.
- Review donors’ and legal reports related to the provision of legal services to ensure technical accuracy, achievement of indicators and legal analysis/trends;
- Provide direct technical support and oversight to the legal officers to ensure quality of legal services delivered in the field; including through regular ‘spot checks’ on legal case files;
- Undergo regular visits to the field offices to provide technical support to the teams and ensure quality of legal services provided, both in terms of legal assistance, information sessions and direct legal representation;
- Ensure that Refugee Outreach Volunteers are able to effectively refer legal needs to the IRC’s legal services.
- Develop effective training materials in line with IRC technical best practice and standards.
- In cooperation with the Protection Coordinator, devises broader legal services programming strategy.
- In cooperation with the Protection Coordinator ensure mainstreaming of legal information across sectors within the IRC program and support integration of programming.
- Provide technical support to Legal Team Leaders for complex cases.
- Maintain up-to-date familiarity with all relevant provisions of Lebanese laws and regulations.
- Clearly define the training needs of the legal team and ensure they are able to access training and professional development resources appropriate to their skill gaps/needs.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions including staff development plans.
- Support in specific research and/or analysis to inform programmatic advocacy and thematic protection reports.
- Ensure that persons who receive legal services are correctly referred for services as required, and follow-up on referrals to other legal actors.
- Support the IRC in developing programming to assist vulnerable Lebanese and migrant workers with legal issues including housing land and property rights, employment rights and legal residency as applicable.
- Assist the IRC in development and implementation of a partnership strategy with local legal providers and/or human rights actors in Lebanon.
Representation, coordination and advocacy
- Forge connections with counterparts including INGO, Local NGO, governmental and other non-governmental stakeholders;
- Represent the IRC in various coordination fora including the National Legal Actors Meetings and technical working groups linked to Housing Land and Property (HLP) rights.
- Collaborate with the Protection Coordinator and Advocacy advisor to identify and coordinate advocacy plans and initiatives on legal issues of importance and concern.
- Collaborate closely with other program departments in order to ensure that linkages between programs are made and programs gain from training best practice.
- Ensure information sharing on external coordination efforts related to legal services;
- Ensure close collaboration of the program with advocacy;
- All other duties as assigned.