Fishery Policy Specialist (FIRST Programme)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
Food and Nutrition Security Impact, Resilience, Sustainability and Transformation (FIRST) is a FAO and the European Union partnership programme with the purpose of providing a policy assistance mechanism for improved food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture. FIRST is designed to strengthen the enabling environment for food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture in a number of selected priority countries. FIRST will be embedded within the FAO’s programme management and coordination structure. It will contribute directly to the food security, nutrition and sustainable agriculture policy and governance related results envisioned under FAO Strategic Objectives 1. ‘Help Eliminate Hunger, Food Insecurity and Malnutrition’ and 2.’Make agriculture, forestry and fisheries more productive and sustainable’.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy and Resources Division (FIA) and the Regional Senior Fishery Officer (FAO Regional Office for Africa) and under the technical guidance and direct supervision of the Senior Policy Officer Fisheries & Aquaculture – FIRST Programme based in ECOWAS Commission, the Fishery Consultant will ensure the overall implementation of coherent, integrated policy assistance, capacity development and regional governance of fisheries and aquaculture sector for achieving food and nutrition security and poverty reduction.
Fisheries, Aquaculture, Food Security and Nutrition.
Tasks and responsibilities
- In close consultation with the Senior Policy Officer Fisheries and Aquaculture – FIRST Programme, prepare and organize meetings and workshops, and ensure the participation of relevant stakeholders;
- In collaboration with the Senior Policy Officer Fisheries and Aquaculture – FIRST Programme, prepare the terms of references for consultants;
- Supervise the reviewing and editing of technical reports of consultants;
- Contribute to the production of policy briefs and notes on key issues related to fisheries in West Africa;
- Contribute to the improvement of data collection and information on fish consumption and nutritional status of populations
- Support the implementation of the PNIASAN and the ECOWAS Detailed Strategic Framework for the Sustainable Development of Fisheries and Aquaculture in West Africa (CSD-DPA) to improve the contribution of the fisheries and aquaculture sector to food security and nutrition;
- Support the organization of visibility actions and the preparation of related materials;
- Support the establishment of a dynamic database of actors, partners, programs, and projects within the fisheries and aquaculture sector in West Africa;
- Support the creation of a framework for cooperation, collaboration and coordination with the main actors involved in the fisheries and aquaculture sector in West Africa;
- Contribute to the preparation of capacity development tools and manuals related to design, implementation and monitoring of fisheries and aquaculture projects and actions;
- Support the organization of training programs, seminars and workshops to improve human and organizational capacities;
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in natural resource management, fisheries policy and economy, fisheries planning analyst, and/or aquaculture development or closely related area.
- 7 years of experience in fisheries resource management and policy or related field, including experience in organization, coordination and planning of technical meetings and workshops.
- Working knowledge of French and English
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency