UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
“EU4Schools” is a Programme funded by the European Union in response to the recovery process following the earthquake of November 26, 2019. It aims to support Albanian citizens in eleven affected municipalities, namely: Kruja, Durres, Kurbin, Kamza, Kavaja, Shijak, Tirana, Vora, Rrogozhina, Lezha and Mirdita, in the area of education. The Programme is part of the European Union’s financial commitment during the International Donor’s Conference, organized in Brussels on February 17, 2020, with a budget of EUR 65 million. The Programme is being implemented by the UNDP, in cooperation with the Albanian Government.
The overall objective of the Programme is to support national and local governments in reducing further social and economic losses, and to accelerate the recovery process through educational facility repairs and reconstruction. Meanwhile, the specific objectives are: (i) To support repairing and reconstruction, including basic furnishing, of education facilities in municipalities affected by the earthquake according to the EU standards, (ii) To provide increased transparency, accountability and inclusiveness to the recovery process and (iii) To improve capacities of central and local governments in accelerating the recovery processes according to the highest EU international standards
“EU4Schools” Programme targets indicatively 58 educational facilities to be repaired or fully reconstructed. Around 20.000 children and students will directly benefit through this intervention.
The Programme will deliver rapid assistance to help restore education services in local communities in order to ensure that students loose minimum school and learning days, and to enable the gradual normalization of life of affected population in those municipalities, with education being the foremost priority. “EU4Schools” Programme will contribute to addressing the recommendations of the last European Commission report to Albania, which stated that “in the coming year, Albania should in particular: implement the pre-university education strategy and the higher education reform, with a focus on ensuring inclusive and quality education at all levels both in urban and rural areas.
As the action will be focused mainly in repair and reconstruction of education facilities, one civil engineer will be hired as part of the action team. He/she will support the effective implementation of the action activities in the area of responsibility, in accordance with the corresponding action documents.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the programme manager and senior civil engineer the civil engineer will be responsible for taking all required actions and ensuring timely and quality delivery of the infrastructure component of the Action and supervise all design, construction and handover phases of all the construction works as well as all external and landscaping works.
Description of Tasks and Responsibilities
The incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Prepares technical documentation related to implementation of education infrastructure interventions including Preparation of Terms of References (ToR) for detailed design for repair and/or reconstruction of educational facilities where needed;
- Reviews and assesses technical design documents for infrastructure interventions and equipment, providing substantive technical inputs and quality assurance;
- Advises UNDP senior managers, programme specialist and programme manager on all technical issues and education infrastructure rehabilitation strategies and approaches;
- Assists programme manager and action staff in the implementation of activities related to the construction of infrastructure projects;
- Advises programme manager and follows up preparation of technical documentation for obtaining relevant construction permits;
- Conducts field visits and prepares assessment of infrastructure interventions;
- Organizes technical team consultations and ensures that all partners participate and contribute as appropriate;
- Ensure the criteria agreed in the Action are fully incorporated in the various activities of the project and in all civil works and constructions.
- Ensures that procurement specifications follow UNDP and Action established format;
- Provides effective support throughout all stages of tendering processes including preparation of evaluation criteria for short-listing of construction companies, provides technical advice and guidance during tendering and procurement processes;
- Provides written technical reports as required.
- Provides technical advice and synthesizes technical opinions of various experts in support of various evaluation processes;
- Undertakes regular field visits for quality assurance and monitoring of contractors during construction phase to ensure that plans are followed, and safe infrastructure is being built;
- In cooperation with the programme manager and Action team contribute in the update and maintenance of contract management module and ensure that all appropriate processes are regularly reflected and monitored;
- Prepares and maintain status reports for projects under implementation and for completed projects;
- Ensures that all design, construction and supervision work undertaken by various contractors abide to the standards and quality criteria agreed in the contractual arrangements and prepares all relevant reports. Monitor and supervise all design, construction and finishing phases of all the construction works
- Monitor and supervise all design, construction and finishing phases of all external and landscaping works.
- Ensure all works and edifices abide by national and European seismic compliance and EURO8 codes and standards
- Ensure all works and edifices incorporate disability requirements as per national and European standards
- Ensures that technical documentation on construction site is maintained in accordance with relevant national laws and standards and contract for works
- In cooperation with other technical experts prepares all relevant specifications for education facilities furniture and equipment.
- Ensures preparation of relevant documentation of handover files for all conducted works; operational manuals and maintenance schedule to be handed over to local governments and school’s authorities;
- Signs off the final handover documentation upon completion of all (re)construction works in each project;
- Provides general office support as required
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Sensitivity to cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age differences.
- Act as a team player while also taking individual initiative to complete outlined tasks;
- Sharing knowledge - across the action in particular and the organization in general -through supporting the building of a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Excellent communication skills (written, spoken, composing, presentation) and ability to share expertise for capacity building;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to pose questions, listen, evaluate and capture opinions, suggestions and comments, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different stakeholders.
- Political and cultural sensitivity and commitment to UNDP’s development objectives in the country;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices;
- Ability to manage competing demands and meet deadlines;
- Proven networking, teambuilding, organizational and communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree in civil engineering
- At least 7 years of experience in working with community infrastructure projects;
- Added advantage is past experience in infrastructure projects of schools or educational facilities;
- Practical experience of working with local administrations or elected authorities for planning and management of infrastructure projects;
- Proven experience in project development in local communities;
- Proven experience in preparation and controlling of bidding documents;
- Proven abilities in computer programmes is required;
- Previous experience/familiarity with UNDP and or EU funded infrastructure projects
- Fluency in English and Albanian is required