LTA Management Consulting
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
The Multi-Partner Trust Fund Office (MPTF Office) is the UN center of expertise on pooled financing mechanisms. As a UN system-wide asset hosted by the UNDP, the MPTF Office supports overall UN coherence and the achievement of the 2030 Agenda by ensuring that its portfolio of pooled financing instruments is well-designed and professionally managed. The MPTF Office portfolio currently comprises over 80 active Funds with annual contribution exceeding US$1billion.
The MPTF Office provides fund design, fund administration, and other related professional services to UN entities, national governments, and other partners. It provides integrated services throughout the life cycle of its pooled funds, from their inception to their closure. These services are conducted separately from the pooled fund management and implementation roles, ensuring a neutral and professionally dedicated trustee function firewalled from all UN implementing entities, UNDP included. In addition to fund design and administration, the Office’s comprehensive offer of services includes fund secretariat support, pooled funding knowledge services, and data and analytics of UN finance. Further information on the MPTF Office, its service offering and the MDTFs and JP portfolio can be found on its key transparency portal MPTF Office GATEWAY (http://mptf.undp.org/) and in its latest Annual Report.
In line with the UN Development System Funding Compact and the recommendations of external evaluations carried out in 2018 and 2019, the MPTF Office is firmly committed to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of UN inter-agency pooled funds. Thus, the MPTF Office is working to continue improving its operations through, among others, its new GATEWAY, a revised operations manual and an update of its manual on designing pooled funds for performance.
Within this context, the MPTF Office seeks the services of a highly qualified consultant/s for a 3 year Long Term Arrangement in Management Consulting Services to assist the MPTF Directorate with a variety of advisory projects linked notably to its fund administration and knowledge management services.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant/s will report to the MPTFO Executive Coordinator and/or his/her designate and will collaborate with the staff of MPTF Office. The consultancy will be home based and the consultant/s should demonstrate a willingness to work in a collaborative/ consultative team manner while simultaneously taking responsibility for individual deadlines and deliverables as outlined in Terms of Reference (ToR) and Purchase Order (PO).
Category 1. Strategic planning and risk based analysis and advice
Review, analyze and synthesize environmental scanning and analysis as relevant to development finance, pooled funding and topics identified from MPTFO’s current Strategic Plan.
Facilitate strategic planning activities such as external analysis, reviews of portfolio performance, risk-based scenario development, operational processes using best practice tools and models and based on inputs from subject matter experts, resulting in executive level report development.
Information sources will be provided from internal sources but are expected to be supplemented with external sources.
Category 1 - Outputs and Deliverables
- Agenda developed. Facilitation of meetings to engage and consult with subject matter experts, resulting in agreed and documented action points.
- Business process analysis and re/design presented in user friendly workflows.
- Report and/or presentation with risk informed recommendations for Executive level readership prepared based on identification and analysis of relevant information
Category 2. Policy review and advice, and business process and procedure design, update or reengineering
Policies: Propose, review, analyse and/or document pooled fund administration policies at the portfolio level, with technical input by MPTF Office staff and others as subject matter experts. Drawing on industry knowledge and best practices in generating efficiency and effectiveness. Recommendations for practical and risk informed policies.
Processes and procedures: Propose, review, analyse and/or document processes and procedures at the office portfolio and/or Fund level related to UN pooled fund administration, to mainstream new or emerging requirements into the MPTF Office operations manual. This includes also design or adjustments to processes and procedures that require re/engineering due to e.g. a change in UNSDG standard legal instruments, new service offerings, the results of knowledge management, systems changes such as the update of the MPTF Office GATEWAY, to enhance performance or to generate efficiency gains considering systems based approaches. This section also includes drafting user guides, guidance notes and other such documentation.
Category 2 - Outputs and Deliverables
- Draft policy documents along with a synthesis of the consultative process undertaken with subject matter experts and other stakeholders, issues raised and suggestions for resolution or integration prepared
- Business process maps and documents in a user-friendly manner highlighting key aspects of the design or re-design and how the process addresses the entities identified risks developed.
Category 3. Knowledge management systems
Enhance the MPTF Office knowledge management information sharing systems, tools and templates and/or specific topics related to stakeholders, MPTFO services, and MDTFs administered based on the use of MS Office tools.
Category 3 - Outputs and Deliverables
- Internal knowledge system designed or reviewed, documented and tested. This includes agreed upon nomenclature, structures and options to organize information that is easy to search, access and find.
- Examples supporting knowledge management and implementation of policies and processes to be integrated into the policy and procedure manual documented
- Fully tested and easy to understand user guides adapted by audience where needed to implement, policy, process and/or systems.
Category 4. Training
Design and delivery of a selection of focused short training programmes for internal and external stakeholders, on key aspects of UN pooled fund administration including standard legal instruments, pooled fund administration, and the key tools and systems supporting these activities.
Category 4 - Outputs and Deliverables
- Training structure, materials and web-based virtual delivery of one or more short courses as supported by the subject matter expert developed.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness, by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of the UN system; and
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Strong ability to think strategically and creatively, and analyse and synthesize information into well-structured and high quality communication products;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills ;
- Proven capacity to work collaboratively in a consultative team environment while taking responsibility for individual deadlines and deliverables;
- Strong organizational skills and readiness to work flexible hours to ensure that agreed upon timeline is adhered to.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in public or business administration or a related technical field; or a fully qualified professional designation from a recognized Accounting Institute
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience at a senior level, with strong track record in
- Management consulting and executive level recommendations including strategic risk reviews - for category 1
- Development and implementation of management / administration related policies, processes and procedures – for category 2
- Knowledge management practices and training – for category 3
- Demonstrated track record of working effectively with people at all levels of an organization, conducting consultations and brainstorming with a broad variety of stakeholders and reflecting multiple points of view, and building consensus amongst these stakeholders.
- Proven experience in providing the required services, including to United Nations agencies or entities, or to other international organizations with comparable organizational mandates and levels of complexity.
- In-depth and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the UN system and the UN development system, and knowledge of the mandates of the key UN entities. Experience working with more than one UN entity is desirable.
- Experience with UN system pooled funding modalities or equivalent financing instruments in other international development organisations is considered a strong advantage.
- Demonstrated experience working in a multicultural environment, with non-native English speakers.
- Demonstrated experience in the usage of standard software packages. Must be able to provide all materials in MS Word-format and produce charts, graphs and tables in MS Excel to support the narrative. Excellent knowledge of SharePoint and/or Microsoft Teams is highly desirable.
- A strong command of English is essential. Knowledge of other UN official languages will be considered an asset.
Please note that this procurement process is being conducted through the online tendering system of UNDP. Bidders who wish to submit an offer must be registered in the system. Visit this page for system user guides and videos in different languages: https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/operations/procurement/business/procurement-notices/resources/If already registered, go to https://etendering.partneragencies.org and sign in using your username and search:
Business Unit: UNDP1
Event ID: MPTFO01-21
Use "Forgotten password" link if you do not remember your password. Do not create a new profile.
If you have never registered in the system before, you can register by visiting the above link, sign in with username below, and follow the instructions in the user guide:
If you are interested to participate in this Tender, it is strongly recommended that you log in and subscribe to the Tender using "Accept Invitation" feature so you can keep updated with Tender amendments including deadline. Note that in case of inconsistencies between information in eTendering system and other premises, information in eTendering system prevails.
Should you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than COB Thursday 3 December 2020, New York Time.