FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan
Mr. Bariz Mehdiyev , Assistant to the FAO Representative
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan implements “Catalysing the Efficiency and Sustainability of Azerbaijan’s Hazelnut Sector – HAZER” project under the FAO-Azerbaijan Partnership Programme (FAPP). The main goal of the project is to empower smallholder farmers to adopt Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) to increase production efficiency of hazelnut, with adapted mechanization technologies and services and to increase the quality of nuts produced, with specific focus on reducing the risk of aflatoxin contamination. The project will empower newly established Government institutes and state agencies while linking to private sector actors. All the outputs and activities are designed to achieve the development of the capacities of actors in the sector for sustainable improvement of the hazelnut production.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR) in Azerbaijan, direct supervision of Assistant FAOR, the technical supervision of Lead Technical Officer (LTO) in FAO Headquarters and in close coordination with the FAPP Manager; in close collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture, the national counterparts, the National Project Coordinator (NPC), Junior Technical Officer (JTO) and the International and National Consultants, Project Specialist will undertake the following duties:
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Oversee day-to-day implementation of the project in line with the work plans and suggest timely corrective actions on the project implementation if required;
- Prepare annual and quarterly work plans and draft Terms of References (ToRs) for all inputs;
- Liaise with all project staff, consultants and specially the LTO to follow up on the performance of their tasks and support them in their work, as necessary;
- Assist the international and national consultants in delivering the technical and organizational elements of the related project outputs, including specific activities such as data collection and organization of consultations within respective project components;
- Assist in selection of implementing partners among Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs), universities, research institutes to provide trainings and carry out other project activities and assist the development of Letter of Agreements (LoAs), where applicable;
- Contribute to the organization, facilitation and technical inputs to workshops, trainings and other events, including the delivery of field activities (performing regular visits to project field sites) and awareness raising activities.
- Make sure that all necessary inputs (personnel, technical support services, sub-contracts, training), including technical specifications for equipment and supplies are provided in a timely manner;
- Assure quality of project activities and project outputs;
- Ensure adequate initiatives for gender mainstreaming and social inclusion are taken;
- Plan and initiate regular events for better coordination among partners and stakeholders as well as raising visibility and awareness related to project’s goals and activities regularly promoting the project and its outputs and findings on a national, and where appropriate, regional stage;
- Provide technical advice and support in the production and finalization of assessments, all type of reports and other technical analysis that will be produced under the project, including supporting the collection of information with regard on establishment of hazelnut mapping of the country.
- Together with FAPP team to contribute to the organization of the project task force meetings and Project Steering Committee meetings; ensuring that secretariat of such meetings are properly conducted, proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, following up the preparation of documents, presentations, reports, minutes, etc.;
- Coordinate project interventions with other ongoing activities;
- Provide support during interactions with stakeholders, to ensure smooth implementation and delivery of project’s activities;
- Supporting the identification of best practices and lessons learnt, ensuring their proper documentation and dissemination
- Ensuring that the proper Monitoring & Evaluation of assigned programmes/projects are carried out
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree in agriculture, natural resources management, agricultural, natural science, or related fields.
- An advanced degree in agriculture or natural resources management will be considered a significant advantage;
- Minimum 3 years of experience in agriculture related field and/or project management in this field.
- Experience working with the Government structures in Azerbaijan will be considered an advantage;
- Working knowledge of English and excellent command over Azerbaijani
- National of Azerbaijan
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ability to adopt new ideas
- Commitment to participatory and bottom-up approaches
- Ability to communicate, including advocating to government agencies
- Fluency in spoken and written Azerbaijani language.
- Completes tasks in a timely, cost-effective way and/or escalated properly
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.