Suva (Fiji )
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within delegated authority, the IUNV, Communications Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- With a focus on the implementation of sustainable development programmes in the Pacific, takes the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of large, complex communications strategies and campaigns with both traditional and social media components;
- Works UN Communications Group (UNCG), to develop and implement system-wide campaigns and to incorporate the campaign message and themes into all relevant events and products;
- Provides advice and expertise to the RC and the UN Country Team (UNCT) on a range of communications and public affairs issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves communications/public relations issues/problems, to include the provision of an effective crisis communications support;
- Supports the work of the UN Communications Group (UNCG) and development of the joint UNCG annual workplan including establishment of the communication performance indicators;
- Develops and coordinates strategic partnerships with key constituencies, including members of the UNCG, to elicit support for and maximize impact of promotional objectives;
- Develops of a diverse range of information and communications products in support of major campaign initiatives;
- Prepares official briefing materials, talking points, speeches, statements, op-eds and presentations as necessary.
- Drafts complex material for traditional and social media platforms, to include website, official social media accounts, newsletters, periodicals, reports and books, etc.;
- Evaluates results and impact of communications activities; reports on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the UN;
- In collaboration with the UNCG, and in coordination with the RCO colleagues supports results reporting and prepare the annual communication plan to publicize and communicate results with a focus on the UN’s development impact.
- Supports the day-to-day operation of the RCO including participating in coordination of substantive and administrative activities of the office related to communications and advocacy;
Performs other related duties, as required.Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, international relations, public information or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.Required experience: 60 Months Experience remark:
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public information or related area is required.
Two years of experience developing and implementing strategic, multimedia and public information campaigns for a diverse audience is required.
Two years of experience interacting with and managing relations with the media is required
Experience working with digital communication platforms in an official capacity, including on content creation, audience engagement and results in monitoring is desirable.
Experience with inter-agency or inter-organizational collaboration in the development sector is desirable.
Experience managing resources, including personnel and budget, to support communications and advocacy activities, is desirable.
Experience working in the political, social and economic context of the region of responsibility is desirable.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Knowledge Sharing, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 3-12-2020