The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institute engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-based policy research. Our researchers address important issues and challenges facing Africa in areas such as education, health, population, aging, urbanization and wellbeing. We engage with policymakers in the region to disseminate our research findings, influence policy decisions and improve the quality of life in Africa.
The Center seeks to recruit a Research Officer to work within its Education and Youth Empowerment Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop study tools on topical issues in education and skills development, training manuals and field guides to use for data collection;
- Coordinate the recruitment, training and supervision of field team;
- Coordinate field work and be responsible for data quality;
- Mobilize and sensitize education and/or youth empowerment stakeholders about research projects;
- Participate in the development of research proposals, with a focus on education and/or youth empowerment;
- Lead the process of obtaining ethical approval for research projects;
- Conduct literature review and participate in writing scientific papers especially on key issues in education and training systems in Africa;
- Carry out policy analysis on specific issues in education and/or youth;
- Prepare regular field and project reports;
- Participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with relevant education and/or youth audiences; and
- Prepare policy briefs and fact sheets from the projects’ findings.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in any of the following areas: Education, Economics of Education, Education Psychology, Applied Statistics, Sociology of Education, or related disciplines.
- At least 3 years’ post qualification experience, preferably in education research or education policy analysis setting.
- Good computer literacy and knowledge of multiple statistical and/or qualitative software packages such as STATA, SPSS, NVivo or ATLAS.ti.
- Experience in conducting field research in education and managing research teams.
- Experience in engaging policy makers with research evidence.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and at least one African language.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, juggle tasks and meet tight deadlines.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short listed candidates will be contacted; shortlisted candidates will be required to have a Police Clearance Certificate. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P.O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons