National Project Personnel - (Programme Assistance)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO Uganda is engaged in support to Refugee-hosting districts in Uganda to support the economic and social integration of refugees to be self-reliant. The Programme Assistant will facilitate the day-to-day field-level implementation of FAO’s livelihoods programmes in Lamwo district, overseeing the work of FAO’s service provider, in collaboration with FAO’s Programme Officer/Field Coordinator (Head of sub-office) based in Arua and under the overall guidance of the Food Security and Livelihoods Coordinator.
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative (FAOR), in consultation with the Deputy FAOR, the Programme Assistant reports to the Programme Officer/Field Coordinator (Head of sub-office) based in Arua and the overall guidance of the Food Security and Livelihoods Coordinator.
The Programme Assistant will, in collaboration with the District Local Government of Lamwo District, will provide routine support and oversight of the field implementation in the Refugee Response.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assist the Programme Officer/Field Coordinator in the implementation of field activities in Palabek Settlement and refugee-hosting communities that cut across humanitarian and development assistance, which may include but are not limited to: community mobilization, beneficiary registration, training of beneficiaries, input distribution and participate in monitoring and verification exercises to validate service delivery progress and completion;
- Support FAO-led preparation, finalization and implementation of activity work plans, monitoring and other implementation tasks, ensuring that the necessary synergy is built with other ongoing initiatives in the district;
- Liaise with the Service Provider and District extension agents, in coordination with the FAO project team, to prepare the appropriate training content and any other necessary backstopping requirements and ensuring that beneficiaries are trained and are able to apply the recommended agronomic, soil and water conservation management practices.
- Provide efficient communication with suppliers and service providers on receipt, storage and distribution of FAO inputs and assets at the field-level under the coordination of the Programme Officer/Field Coordinator;
- Monitor day-to-day implementation by FAO service providers in Lamwo District, including suppliers and implementing partners, with the provision of continuous feedback on Service Providers’ performance to the Programme Officer/Field Coordinator;
- Provide routine updates to FAO’s Programme Officer/Field Coordinator on implementation progress, ensuring that all activities on the ground are technically sound and meet expectations of government, donors and the communities served;
- Document and share with the Programme Officer/Field Coordinator lessons-learned and provide evidence-based recommendations to address emerging issues and build on best practices to ensure effective and timely delivery;
- In the absence of Programme Officer/Field Coordinator, participate in the relevant project-related meetings and missions to ensure the visibility of FAO in all essential activities while preserving the corporate image of FAO;
- Produce a comprehensive activity report of the assignment based on above outlined tasks and responsibilities;
- Undertake any other activities as requested.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Bachelor’s Degree in agriculture, rural development, programme management or related fields.
- Three years programme/project experience in programme implementation.
- Experience in livelihoods programming in humanitarian and/or development context, preferably in displacement-related programming
- Working knowledge of written and spoken English.
- Ugandan National.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience in agricultural livelihoods programming in humanitarian and development context, preferably in a humanitarian response.
- Experience in community mobilization and awareness raising.
- Experience with the inclusion of women and youth in livelihoods and/or humanitarian programming
- Experience in partnership building in providing support to local government, civil society structures and private sector.
- Experience with activity and routine performance reporting.
- Experience in public speaking and advocacy skills preferred.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/