Associate Political Affairs Officer
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of The Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for the Horn of Africa or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will:
- Conduct research on issues pertaining to peace and security as well as political developments in assigned countries in the Horn of Africa Region;
- Prepare a range of internal reports and briefing papers, including but not limited to situation reports, political profiles, notes to file, background papers, briefing notes, code cables and talking points for the Special Envoy and other senior staff;
- Develops and maintain professional relationships, which support the work of the Office, including representatives of international organizations and other relevant partners;
- Monitor information and news sources for the production of daily news clippings as well as media reports;
- Follow up on political and security developments in assigned countries in the Horn region;
- Reach out to Civil Society Organizations, think thanks, academia in the Horn Region for in-depth analysis of the political and security situation;
- Undertake other relevant tasks and assignments as requested.
Master's degree in International Relations, Political Science or related discipline.Required experience: 36 Months Experience remark:
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in political affairs, government, diplomacy, peacebuilding, conflict resolution or international development.
- Prior experience in political analysis and reporting is essential, preferably in the context of Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Proven ability or interest to work with government officials or International, Regional or Sub-Regional organizations is an asset.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Computer skills: solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment.Driving license: No Application procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to
Application deadline: 03 December 2020