Banja Luka (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the direct supervision of the UNDP Energy and Environment (EE) Sector Leader (SL), Project Manager will support the implementation of the „Integrated Reporting and Transparency System of Bosnia and Herzegovina (CBIT)“ Project funded by the Global Environmental Facility (GEF).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall project management
- Policy advice and technical guidance
- Project monitoring, reporting and quality assurance based on the principle of result-based management
- Knowledge management and gender equality
- Partnership and advocacy
- Supervises and ensures the timely implementation of the project relevant activities as scheduled in the working plan;
- Prepares a detailed work plan for the project and drafts terms of reference for the subcontracts (in cooperation with EE Sector Leader and in consultation with the Project Board and UNDP;
- Compiles the scope and content of the overall report and relevant sections in consultation with Team Leaders;
- Develops the scope of the work and ToRs and other procurement documents required to identify and facilitate recruitment of experts and consultants;
- Identifies and hire/subcontract the local experts and institutions in cooperation with Project Coordinator and in consultation with the Project Board and UNDP;
- Supervises project support staff and local consultants who are recruited to provide technical assistance;
- Organizes and supervises the workshops and training needed during the project;
- Secures proper and efficient use of project budget, as per the project document
- Manages financial allocations and approve expenditures according to authority delegated and ensure timely payments in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Applies UNDP programming tools and policies as explained in the Results Management Guide.
2.Policy advice and technical guidance:
- Provides conceptual guidance and technical advice to the Project team and Project counterparts;
- Provides strategic leadership and steer the regulatory and policy formulation processes within the Project in line with the Project document, observing the application of EU standards in these processes and ensuring sustainable and lasting changes;
- Guides the design of the Project comprehensive assistance to local governments and local utilities and provide technical advice in its delivery;
- Participates in project-level committees, policy and capacity development working groups and events;
- Ensures that achieved policy and legislative are mainstreamed within the Project field work, other relevant UNDP interventions, as well as promote their application beyond UNDP scope of work;
- Provides technical support and back-up services to Sector Leader.
- Manages and monitors the project risks initially identified and submits new risks to the project board for consideration and decision on possible actions if required; updates the status of these risks by maintaining the project risks log;
- Ensures timely submission of the Inception Report, Project Implementation Report, Technical reports, quarterly financial reports, and other reports as may be required by UNDP, GEF and other oversight agencies;
- In cooperation with EE Sector Leader summarizes and synthesizes the results of the project;
- Identifies the follow up activities and mobilizes other resources to the extent possible;
- Identifies and ensures synergy of the projects’ activities and the MRV framework created under the project with other relevant ongoing / new projects;
- Ensures that the FNC process is in the line with guidance provided by the CoP of the UNFCCC and contributes to the improvement of the UNFCCC reporting process;
- Carries regular, announced, and unannounced performance monitoring of the project team, as well as conduct field visits and quality checks of projects events, sites, and activities.
- Ensures wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements;
- Supports continuous learning of the project team;
- Ensures dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective project implementation;
- Ensures that achieved project key results, knowledge tools and products have been mainstreamed within the project field work, as well as within other relevant UNDP interventions and support their popularization and application beyond UNDP scope of work;
- Manages the transfer of project’s deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the project activities, work plans, budgets, reports, research, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzes in detail;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in Project knowledge management activities and products.
- Collaborates with all relevant stakeholders and the Project Board and other partners to ensure their involvement in the enhanced transparency framework;
- Follows the process of international negotiations in the UNFCCC and respective decisions related to reporting on non-Annex 1 Parties and particularly in relation to the proposed Paris Rulebook;
- Liaises with the relevant ministries, local and international research institutes, NGOs, and other relevant institutions to involve their staff in project activities, and to gather and disseminates information relevant to the project;
- Identifies and support the realization of synergetic initiatives and/or contribution from various stakeholders, which would add value and maximize the programme results;
- Ensures full understanding, cooperation and, wherever possible, synergy of the project efforts with the International Community;
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the efficient, effective, transparent, and accountable implementation of projects addressing climate change adaptation issues and providing solutions for Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Researches linkages across project activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals;
- Effectively networks with partners and remain up-to date on partnership related issues;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients, and potential partners;
- Analyses information/databases on potential and actual donors;
- Develops a database of Project profiles. Identifies opportunities for Project proposals for presentation to donors;
- Research potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality;
- Generates new ideas and approaches, research best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches;
- Promoting/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disabilities, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people and partners fairly without favoritism;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and strong ability to continuously self-motivate;
- Plans, prioritizes, and delivers tasks on time;
- Excellent diplomatic and interpersonal skills and ability to liaise effectively with government and stakeholders at the highest levels;
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent conceptualisation and analytical skills, as well as proven ability to draft documents in clear and concise manner;
- Excellent communication skills with excellent presentation skills;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective project team;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent project team;
- Managing conflict;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Informed, fair and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in environment, economics and development related studies and other related disciplines;
- BA degree with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of MA.
- At least 5 year's experience relevant to the project (7 years with BA degree);
- Demonstrated exprience in project management;
- Expertise in putting together costed, results-oriented aciton plans;
- Demonstrated experience in working with governement and International community;
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English and local languages.
- Good understanding of environment/climate changes issues in BiH;
- Good understanding of development and EU path of BiH;
- Familiarity with Bosnia and Herzegovina international obligations and processes under the UNFCCC;
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.