Business Support Assistant G4 (Pakokku)
WFP Vacancy Announcement
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
|Contract Type||Fixed Term (GS 4)|
|Post Title||Business Support Assistant (Admin)|
|Number of Post||One|
|Report to||Finance Assistant|
|Duration of Service||12 months (extendable)|
|Opening Date for Application||20 November 2020|
|Closing Date for Application||04 December 2020|
TThe United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 75 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has been presented in Myanmar since 1994 and is now focusing on helping the Government reach its national Zero Hunger Challenge by 2025. WFP’s work in the country is guided by three priorities: emergency preparedness and response; nutrition; and provision of social safety nets.
This job is located in Pakokku Office of WFP Myanmar.
At this level, work is carried out under minimal supervision. Job holders are expected to produce organised and accurate work, undertaking specific business support activities. They may offer guidance on standard practices to more junior staff in their area of work.
To deliver standard business support processes for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.
Under the direct supervision of Finance Assistant and overall supervision of Head of Area Office (Pakokku), the incumbent will perform the following duties;
• Provide Administrative, HR and ICT support to Pakokku based staffs, Hakha based staffs and out post field-based staffs in Magway, Mandalay and Sagaing Regions and Chin State.
• Check the provision of a range of services, including facilities and light vehicle management, travel, protocol related, etc., maintaining information, to contribute to the provision of a safe and comfortable working environment.
• Arrange travel for all staffs under Pakokku Area Office, fleet arrangement, accommodation and security clearance of the staffs before travel is made.
• Prepare and arrange travel for both internal and external missions to all the project sites under Pakokku Area Office.
• Monitor vehicle log-sheet, vehicle maintenance, fuel consumption, generator maintenance and office maintenance.
• Take responsibility for data integrity to facilitate availability of accurate information in corporate systems.
• Extract and input data from various sources of administrative, human resource, procurement and others to WFP corporate systems.
• Prepare and submit monthly admin closure package to WFP Country Office.
• Prepare and submit monthly attendance and leave report of the staffs to WFP Country Office.
• Prepare and request for monthly electricity and fuel payment.
• Manage and maintain paper and electronic records within the area of responsibility in accordance with established procedures, to ensure swift and easy data access as required.
• Take responsibility for the maintenance of set standard systems and files, to ensure information is accurate and readily available for the function.
• Support processing and managing routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources.
• Supervise drivers based in Pakokku and Hakha and Site-maintenance Assistant (Cleaner).
• Act as HR and ICT focal person for Pakokku Area Office.
• Perform any other relevant duties as requested by supervisor.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Completion of secondary school education.
Knowledge & Skills
• Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
• Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
• Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
• Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
• Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
Fluency in both oral and written in English and Myanmar.
Preferable to have four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
This post is opened for Myanmar Nationals Only.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Female applicants and qualified applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.