Technical Advisor, Health System Strengthening
Last Mile Health’s National Community Health Systems (NCHS) team works to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MOH) at central and county levels to oversee the scaling up of a high-quality National Community Health Assistant (NCHA) Program. A critical component of the National CHA Program is building County Health Team (CHT) capacity considering the long-term goal of transitioning full, decentralized management of the NCHA Program from International NGOs to CHTs. Under this goal, Last Mile Health will employ a full-time Technical Advisor, Health System Strengthening based in Rivercess, Grand Gedeh, and Grand Bassa County to assist the CHT in the implementation, monitoring, quality improvement, Supply chain, human resource and leadership and governance of the NCHA Program. Reporting directly to the County Manager with a dotted line to the Senior Technical Coordinator, Decentralization and Governance in Monrovia, the Technical Advisor, Health System Strengthening will be embedded within the CHTs of each county to facilitate relationship building, provide on-the-job coaching, and support county health system strengthening activities to prepare the county to fully transition to complete ownership of the NCHA Program Provide technical guidance on key technical gaps needed to improve the public financial management system at the county level.
What You Will Do
- Support active CHT participation in national/regional-level NCHA Program Quarterly and Annual Review Meetings (QRMs and ARMs).
- Support CHTs to plan and conduct county-level Quarterly Review Meetings to discuss program progress and challenges at the county level
- Accompany the CHT to regional County Operational Planning Training Workshops and provide in-country support during County Operational Planning exercises to help CHTs integrate NCHA Program activities and funds into their annual Operational Plans and Budgets.
- With technical support from LMH Monrovia office, ensure that health system strengthening policies, procedures, and requirements from the national level are timely disseminated and adhered to CHT
- Provide direct technical support to the County Health governance structure including, County Health Boards, District Health Boards, Hospital Boards, Health Facility Development Committee, and Community Health Committees.
- Support CHT to develop and update county capacity development plan based on results from capacity assessments and other data sources.
- Support CHT to plan, implement, monitor, evaluate, and follow-up capacity building activities.
- Coordinate and provide technical review of all capacity building activities at the county level, lead knowledge management of LMH’s support to CHT, and manage internal LMH transition strategy for Grand Bassa.
- Support the CHT to ensure the routine update of CHWs information into iHRIS
- Provide capacity-building support to the CHT to prepare for training, develop reports and documentations.
Support the CHT to ensure adherence to national guidelines on recruitment, onboarding, leave, transfer, staff performance appraisals, etc
- Support relationship building with CHT, specifically CHFP, Nutrition Focal Person, RMNH Supervisor, Child Survival Focal Person, and RM&E Officer, for the goal of facilitation and coordination of programmatic activities, co-design of innovations, quality improvement, district supervision, and quality assurance activities, CHSS retreats, etc.
- Gather and document feedback and/or frequently asked questions from county stakeholders on Community Health Services Policy and Strategic Plan and NCHA Program to inform national documents.
What You Will Bring.
- A clinical or bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Health, or related subject degree.
You will Impress Us If
- You Demonstrated experience in project and operational implementation in complex environments
- You have Experience motivating and empowering government counterparts
- Have Experience working with national and/or county governments and as a technical expert/technical assistant
- Have Experience in health systems strengthening and/or community health at the national or field level
- Have Experience working in a post-conflict or resource-poor setting
- Excellent project management and leadership skills.
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world's most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. Last Mile Health is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Boston, and New York.