Management Analyst (Digital Transformation)
UNDP Zambia is strategically repositioning its country programme implementation based on emerging opportunities and UNDP’s comparative advantages that maximizes partnerships, resource mobilization and impact in keeping with UNDP’s mandate and its current Country Programme Document (CPD) covering the period 2016 – 2021 and embarking on the next programme cycle to support the Government of Zambia through its 8th National Development Plan (8NDP).
In addition, the review of the programme portfolio also showed a pressing need to recalibrate the programme implementation in Zambia through a more integrated vision aligned with the current CPD, the six (06) signature solutions of the current Strategic Plan and the RBA’s strategic offer and where UNDP will fully play its integrator role for accelerating the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Zambia
As the development world and UNDP Zambia move into 2020, defined as the Decade of Action, with only 10 years left to achieve the SDGs, it is more pressing that UNDP Zambia revisits its approach to programming to ensure both it continues to explore new ways of optimally supporting the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) to achieve the objectives set out in both Agenda 2030 and the 7th National Development Plan (7NDP) using a strategic approach to planning resulting in an efficient and effective delivery of the Country Programme to promote sustainable human development.
Against this backdrop and building upon the lessons learnt over the past months, UNDP Zambia is strengthening its programme and management advisory structures unit supporting both Programmes and Operations Clusters under the direct supervision of the Senior Management of the office to leverage innovate approaches, embrace the digital transformation of UNDP Zambia through the introduction of ICT tools using existing corporate platforms, enhancing the clientele services across the office and enabling integrated synergies between all department and units.
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Management, the Management Analyst reports to the Operations Manager (OM) and acts as the technical specialist and lead on all matters related to internal control systems, business processes, digital transformation, clientele service improvements and enhancements, support to the Senior Management in both Programme and Operation areas. S/he leads the CO efforts to ensure integrated approaches to programme implementation, efficient management of cross-unit initiatives, strengthening of internal controls, development of innovative business processes and fostering a digital culture across the office. S/he is also expected to support the strengthening and empowerment of the oversight function as an immediate measure to improve the programme management oversight function, in particular, the interaction with the Programme Compliance, Oversight and Monitoring (PCOM) unit in all aspects of the office performance that are critical to key strategic management decisions related to both the office’s resource mobilization and financial sustainability.
Finally, in close collaboration with PCOM, the Operations Manager and both Programme and Operations sections, s/he also helps drive integrated collaboration between key units across the office to ensure the consistent delivery of enhanced management support to the programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager, the Management Analyst will support the Senior Management for the achievement of the following results:
Key functions consist of:
- Formulation and implementation of the business development strategies to streamline business processes and improve the office’s performance.
- Full adherence of UNDP Zambia operations to UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR), Accountability Framework, Programme and Policies Procedures (POPP).
- Enhance digitalization and digitization transformation of the CO.
- Effective knowledge management in the CO.
In close collaboration with the Team Leaders of various units, support the formulation and implementation of the CO strategies on business development including resource mobilization, partnership building, enhanced operations to improve the programme delivery, communications and publication strategies, elaboration and implementation of evaluation mechanisms, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contribute to the set-up of an effective and innovative resource mobilization strategy and partnerships building strategy, leading to growth of the CO non-core resources and a predictable multi-year funding base; enhanced non-core funding for joint programming, in-creased donor interest in co-financing and the diversification of the CO resource mobilization sources;
- Support to the Senior Management for the coordination of cross-unit initiatives such as finalization of Integrated Workplans (IWPs), Result-Oriented Annual Reports (ROARs), etc.;
- Act as Project Manager for cross-unit project under the stewardship of the Senior Management;
- Support the Operations Manager for the coordination of management and coordination projects in ATLAS;
- Coordinate the design and development of policy papers or guidance notes for both programme and operation management (i.e. administrative notes, memorandum of understanding, circulars, etc.);
- Coordinate partnership and clientele satisfaction surveys to strengthen the collaboration with existing and new bilateral and multilateral donors, the UN agencies and the government partners;
- Coordinate SharePoint development, in close collaboration with ICT, aligned with the management vision;
- Follow-up on the Senior Management engagement with government ministries, development partners, civil society organizations, and private sector to ensure that identified new business development opportunities are followed-up;
- Collaborate with Team Leaders and programme and operations units to build new business cases including the risk assessment and the development of concept notes.
- Support the implementation of an effective and innovative CO communications strategy and publication policy as part of business development strategy;
- Monitor the performance of various agreements such as Memorandum of Understanding (MOUs), Memorandum of Agreements (MOA), Service Level Agreements (SLAs), etc.
Support the Senior Management in setting-up of internal control systems, streamlined processes and guiding principles to ensure that full adherence of UNDP Zambia operations to UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR), Accountability Framework, Programme and Policies Procedures (POPP) is established:
- Act as Internal Control Framework (ICF) Focal Point and coordinate the management of ARGUS requests and monthly ARGUS corporate assertions;
- Support the review, conceptualization and formulation of revamped, relevant business processes and procedures including the development of templates, workflows and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Provide direct support and analytical inputs to the Senior Management for the formulation of coherent, holistic and implementable localized Internal Control Framework (ICF);
- Support Senior Management in revamping the management strategy to strengthen its leadership role as the operational backbone of the operational services provided to UNCT in Zambia (UN common premises (UN House and Annex), Local Interagency Clinic Management Committee (LIACMC), Local Cost Shared Security Budget (LCSSB) and other common services.
Spearhead in close collaboration with various units, the office digital transformation, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Lead on the digitization and digital transformation of the office in close collaboration with the Information Communication Technology (ICT) unit;
- Supervise the Management Associate in charge of the development of digital tools;
- Support the rollout of new systems and automated and enhanced tools to streamline, optimize business processes and improve the office’s overall performance;
- Identify areas of improvements and provide advisory services to the Senior Management to continuously improve its operations and the implementation of the Country Programme.
Contribute to an effective knowledge management in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Acts as CO Knowledge Management focal point;
- Support to the development and implementation of the CO Knowledge Management strategy;
- Ensure the dissemination of web-based tools, templates, systems and intelligence information accessible to enable the staff members at all levels to capitalize on opportunities to develop and/or enhance partnering for programme growth, knowledge-sharing, etc.;
- Identification of knowledge sources and establish network with first-class institutions and organizations for knowledge acquisition and dissemination;
- Active and sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Corporate best practices/lessons learned in business development, captured, standardized and disseminated.
Perform other official duties and special assignments which may be requested by the supervisor and the Senior Management.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Demonstrates comprehensive project management knowledge in development context
- Ability to maintain a network of contacts and conduct basic research and analysis
- Ability to establish effective client relationships
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Ensuring UNDP has the internal management systems it requires to support the achievement of its objectives, and to function effectively and efficiently
Teamwork and Relationships
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve goals and promotes good team spirit; Demonstrates good interpersonal skills and maintains good relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Develops and effectively maintains relationships with key partners (UNDP senior personnel, UN agencies, Government, etc.)
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Participates in the development of mechanisms/new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Development, International relations, Social Sciences, Business Administration or a related field.
- At least two (2) of development experience, business case development, preferably in a strategy, business development, consulting, including 6 months with an international organization and/or public sector;
- Proven experience in institutional strengthening, organizational capacity building working with Senior Management within UN context is a strong asset;
- Experience working with international development partners (bilateral and/or multilateral), in particular the UN system is desirable;
- Proven ability to work with limited supervision and in a team context;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills and should also be culturally and politically sensitive in the work with counterparts and be able to work at all levels;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft (Atlas).
- English. Other official language of the UN will be desirable
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.