Finance Analyst, Accounts and Reporting
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure implementation of operational and financial management strategies, and adapt processes and procedures
- Ensure full compliance of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implement effective internal control, proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system;
- Develop business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in the area of financial management of UN Secretariat/Mission and UN AFP volunteers;
- Continuously analyze and monitor the financial situation pertaining to SCA rejects and corrections for UN Mission and UN AFP volunteers position distribution COAs. Raise correction GLJEs for further approval by Chief, FBS and Senior Management;
- Liaise with UNDP, UN Secretariat and UN AFP focal points to propose solutions and guide on relevant financial management processes;
- Routinely monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions, and investigate anomalies or unusual transactions. Inform supervisor and other UNDP staff at Headquarters of the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained. Advise Volunteer Services Centre on policies and procedures related to financial management, cost-recovery, accounts, etc.
Develop and deliver analytical and other accounting/management reports
- Analyze financial situation and financial position at quarter end for management funding and prepare inputs for quarterly financial updates;
- Develop new reporting and analytical tools in close collaboration with Information and Communications Technology Unit (ICTU) and within the scope of the digital transformation in UNV;
- Propose automated solutions and act as a focal point for digital excellence in FBS contributing to modernization of the accounting and reporting functions;
- Examine and investigate all ATLAS reports and proactively engage with both UNV and UNDP IT teams in proposing solutions to maintenance of Fund Trees, UNV Corporate Dashboard and other platforms for further endorsement by Chief, FBS;
- Possess, develop and maintain ATLAS Financials Expert knowledge, ATLAS HCM Master Knowledge, ATLAS Module Integration Master Knowledge;
- Keep abreast of developments in new financial management practices and products by actively engaging in internal and external professional networks;
- Act as User Acceptance Test participant for all new IT solutions, platforms of UNV and UNDP and other UN inter-agency solutions;
- Propose recommendations of improvement to FBS team members on reporting and accounting management;
- Guide the GS7 Finance Associate on day-to-day inquiries related to global charges funds and donor reporting preparation for further approval by Chief, FBS.
Ensure robust control of all General Ledger (GL) accounts
- Act as Manager Level 1/T&E Approver in Atlas, in accordance with UNDP POPP, UNDP ICF, UNV ICF;
- Ensure robust control of accounts closure on a regular basis. Run GL reports and queries, reconcile data, propose solutions and take corrective actions in ATLAS.;
- Review mid-month and monthly corporate financial dashboards, guide UNV and UNDP staff on corrective actions and on applicable policies/procedures;
- Introduce a system of pro-active mitigative accounts closure and coordinate with other FBS team members;
- Liaise with UNDP BMS/OFRM/GSSU on monthly accounts clean-up. Raise GLJEs for further endorsement by Chief, FBS and Senior Management.
Ensure proper treasury accounting management
- Develop business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures in the area of payment processing;
- Contribute to the development of digital solutions in Procure-to-Pay end-to-end cycle;
- Guide UNV Regional Offices and Field Units on finding solutions to payment related enquiries.
- Monitor financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions. Provision of information to supervisor and other UNDP staff at HQ on the results of the investigation when satisfactory answers are not obtained;
- Guide Finance Assistant on day-to-day financial management requirements.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the UNV and guidance to all stakeholders on financial matters
- Organise/conduct training/webinars for all UNV staff on financial management;
- Synthesize lessons learnt and best practices in the finance function;
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Ability to create a process to achieve financial goals
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner
- Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets.
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Master’s) university degree in Finance or Accounting, or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy;
- Those with professional accounting qualifications from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage;
- Passing the UNDP Advanced Accountancy and Finance Test is required, unless exempted by UNDP's Office of Financial Resources Management (OFRM).
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in providing financial management and accounting advisory services, as well as managing staff and operational systems;
- Experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Fluency in English;
- Working knowledge of an additional official UN languages is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft;
- Knowledge of UN/UNDP financial rules and regulations is a major asset.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP/UNV reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP/UNV at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.