UNDP - Communications Specialist
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the overall guidance of the Resident Representative and direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, the Communications Specialist develops and implements communications strategies of the country office in line with the related corporate strategies and plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach;
- Implementation of the CO Communications strategy and plans through;
- leading the development of the content of the communications products;
- Contribution to advocacy and partnership building efforts;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and management;
- Effective management of the communications function of the Country Office and supervision of the Communications team
- Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc);
- Elaborate the CO communications and advocacy strategy based on corporate strategic priorities and PCAP;
- Implement communications programmes to publicize priority issues and/or major events, to include drafting communication strategies (including social media), coordinating efforts, monitoring and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up action, and analyzing the outcome;
- Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in programme and projects formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programmes.
- Elaboration and implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy;
- Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues;
- Coordination and management of all CO publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printing/publishers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of publications dissemination;
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP website, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system based on corporate requirements and, if necessary, in cooperation with the ICT staff;
- Supervision and preparation of the content for the social media platforms ensuring consistency of the materials;
- Conducting social media analysis for UNDP platforms, measure audience engagement and contribute to building UNDP’s social media fan base through assessment of key audiences, content planning, content management, search engine optimization, analytics and assessment of effectiveness of platforms and content;
- Identifying and developing storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues;
- Review of reference materials and maintain an information and photo/video library;
- Participating in the implementation of the UNDP County Office Gender Strategy, contributing to implementation of its communications/visibility part.
- Creation and promotion of campaigns that position UNDP with local and international media and influences the development agenda based on current programme and new initiatives;
- Management, promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report;
- Creation, promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on issues including UNDP activities, Sustainable Development Goals, UN Reform, etc. in association with other staff from the country office;
- Engaging in the UN Communications Group and, as part of it, leading inter-agency joint communication activities, contribute to joint UN information campaigns (Environment Day, Anti-corruption Day, UN Day, World AIDS Day, 16 Days of Activism against gender-based violence, etc.);
- Prepare inputs for Common Country Analysis (CCA), UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF), CPD and other documents;
- Promotional activities to position UNDP as a leader within the development space;
- Increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through development and maintenance of media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public and donors;
- Formatting, packaging and submission of programme and projects initiatives for donor review in close collaboration with programme and project staff;
- Development and maintenance of close contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for implementation of the communications strategy, organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, project visits, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc.;
- Ensuring access for journalists to subject-matter experts and UNDP spokespeople;
- Regular updates to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects;
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials;
- Innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or corporately strategic public communications issues;
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP mandate, mission and purpose;
- Provide innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or corporately strategic public communications issues.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information;
- Provides advice and support to UNDP inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD and other documents;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on internal and external communications.
- Effective management of the communications function, including preparation of the work-plan, communications budget, management of translations and contractual matters;
- Leading the communications specialists and consultants from programme and projects;
- Setting in place systems for effective quality control of the communications work done in projects and leading its application in practice;
- Other duties as relevant and required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in media relations, journalism, publishing.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy. Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and national language of the duty station. Other official language of the UN will be desirable.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.