National Project Personnel (Finance and Administration)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
FAO assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to respond to cries. FAO in collaboration with the Government of Malawi and with support of multiple development partners is implementing a wide range of activities to improve livelihoods of small-scale farmers as well as assisting a more inclusive and sustainable development in the country. FAO Malawi is currently supporting the Government to strengthen community-based resilience in vulnerable rural areas, facilitate a more sustainable management of natural resources and supporting nutrition-sensitive agriculture. Likewise, FAO provides and mobilizes technical assistance required by the country in areas related with agriculture production, agriculture economics and other areas relevant.
The NPP will be under the overall leadership of the FAO Representative and direct supervision of the Administrative Officer and the day-to-day supervision of the District Coordinator, the Finance/Administrative Assistant acts independently on routine matters
The NPP will perform a range of routine Finance and Administrative functions, as well as office support functions contributing to the smooth and efficient running of FAO work in Mwanza and Neno.
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will work more specifically:
- Enter and analyse data from a wide variety of sources, verify accuracy of documents, make necessary calculations.
- Prepare expense reports to liquidate Operational Advances, reconcile expenditures, transaction balances, payments, statements and other data; assist in the preparation of recurring and other special reports by preparing and editing data in appropriate format;
- Assist in the preparation of operational budgets;
- Prepare routine correspondence of administrative nature; draft correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on transactions and financial matters, as required;
- Maintain local inventory records with responsibility for proper recording of assets, their maintenance and safeguard;
- Support the administration of personnel and equipment;
- Prepare budgets for workshops and timely send for approval and make follow ups for funding;
- File documents related to the projects electronically and manually, ie, procurement, meetings, workshops, payment vouchers for easy access to records;
- Maintain, update and transmit inventory records of expendable and non-expendable equipment;
- Responsible for all logistical arrangements of projects and field activities;
- Provide guidance to Drivers on office procedures; make Drivers conversant with organizational procedures and ensure that the organisation’s vehicle(s) are used for official activities;
- Monitor vehicle fuel usage, and ensure that that fuel usage is reconciled against mileage covered;
- Maintain office upkeep/equipment, ensure the office is clean and tidy, request for office cleaning materials and request for service of office equipment timely;
- Make travel and accommodation arrangements for staff and implementing partners;
- Timely prepare travel authorization requests;
- Request for security clearances to facilitate field travels;
- Take and circulate minutes during and after meetings;
- Make and arrange venues for meetings by communicating and inviting participants, securing venues and coordinating catering and other logistical services during workshops;
- Manage petty cash for the field office;
- Coordinate couriers and mailing services with approved vendors;
- Receive and process deliveries with suppliers;
- Maintain the safety and security needs for project assets; and
- Perform other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Minimum of a Diploma in Accounting, Administration or an Executive Secretarial Diploma;
- Minimum of three years of experience in administrative/ finance and office support work;
- National of Malawi
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment;
- Ability to use accounting software and either information systems and databases to insert data, make inquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports, and ability to analyse and edit results in appropriate format;
- Good knowledge of the communication and documentation standards
- Good knowledge of corporate computerized financial/ travel/ Human Resources systems, administrative procedures and policies
- Good knowledge of organization structures
- Good command of English language
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/